Restoring Technics - Page 9
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Luconia View Post
    ^ mind to post some pics? so that we or the more experience person in here can guide you
    That would seem to be the smart thing to do alright.

As you can (hopefully) see, one of them is just starting to go. The other one is fúcked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tech Guru

If you have any kind of corrosive build up on the chrome part of the platter try using a very fine sand paper to remove then 0/0 steel wool to smooth. If it is too deep in the aluminum, you may just new to opt for new platters.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djlotus View Post
    you may just new to opt for new platters.
    At £80+, I don't think so.
    If I can't get results from polishing them, I'll strip the magnet parts off them and face them off in a lathe.

hmm looks like corrosion but i can't tell if it's bad...Nicadraus has the same condition platter, only much worse in his latest project.
    I'm not sure what would he do about it.

try sandpaper them down & see what happens ^^

Tech Convert

I sanded them last night and I have to say the results were much better than expected

On the worse platter I ended up taking it all the way back to pretty much bare metal. It took 320 grit paper to remove the worst of the corrosion, which obviously took a lot of the surrounding paint. Trying to feather it would have been a waste of time and still left it uneven, so I continued with the 320 and took all the paint and corrosion off. A good rub of wet 1200 grit left it ready for the Autosol and, after about three hours, I had a platter that would let a slipmat slip.

The other platter still took a bit of 320 action to remove the corrosion, but where the first one was left maybe 20% paint and 80% metal after the corrosion was gone, on this one it was the opposite. The wet 1200 did a decent job of feathering the edges of the paint so I was happy to be able to give the Autosol a miss after the effort the other one took.

I just want to get to using these decks as soon as I can (still waiting for a few bits, like slipmats and a power supply for the mixer) so I'm not planning on giving them a coat of paint. They'll be hidden under mats the whole time anyway and won't spend any more time in an environment that's conducive to that type of corrosion.

I'll try get the "after" photos up tomorrow if I get a chance.

Nice, glad to know it was working for you

I have scrapped mine to bare metal around the dotted area since the black paint has been peeled off badly, no corrosion though.
    leaving it bare would not affect the performance at all....just it looks unfinished. i agree with people working on the paint job of the platter...just take your time.

Quote Originally Posted by milltown View Post
    A good rub of wet 1200 grit
    The only sandpaper grit to rejuvenate Technics with
    Judging by the pics, that's a lot of sanding, kudos for pulling through. Good luck with the dots... how is that even taken care of?

Tech Guru

I agree, the tone arm sucks to take apart. I cleaned mine up pretty well with some toothpicks, q-tips, alcohol and an air can.

As for taking apart the decks, check out viper franks videos on YouTube. He walks you through the entire process in 4 videos. I used it as a step by step for fixing mine.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Problem with restoring computer to factory settings?

Default What grease should i get for the tone arm threads

I am in the process of restoring my SL1200 mk2 and i had to buy two new tonearms and all that comes with that
    but i need info on what grease i should get for that , and what should i grease in the , do i have to grease something on the fixing plate ?

and is it enough to use hair clipper oil for the spindle ?

thanks in advance.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast