vinyl to digital through usb turntable sound quality?
    Tech Mentor

Default vinyl to digital through usb turntable sound quality?

i've got some records i want to convert to play in traktor and was looking into getting a usb direct drive turntable.is the sound quality going to be any good as i cant find any info on it.i'm hoping people that have done it or do can advise me.i dont want to get into the old 'analogue vs digital' thing and am never gonna be pro but would just like a cleanish representation of the sound of the record to bounce around to.thanx in advance

They come out pretty good, but don't bother using an older record they sound crap, just keep in mind it won't be in stereo either

Edit: If you have access to a program such as Izotope RX thats great for cleaning up the pops etc.
    Last edited by Jester; 01-02-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

will the needle supplied be good enough or would you suggest investing in a better one?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    They come out pretty good, but don't bother using an older record they sound crap, just keep in mind it won't be in stereo either

Edit: If you have access to a program such as Izotope RX thats great for cleaning up the pops etc.
    will i have to get it 'stereo' if so how?.

apologies for being thick

we have a lot of vinyl rips in our traktor collection and they for the most part sound fine. As long as your needle isn't worn out i don't think thats going to make much diference to the rip either.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Vinyl is in stereo.
    Unless your are talking about pressings from way back in the day, or some bad whitelables/bootlegs.
    MacBook Pro
    Technics SL-1200mk2's | Ortofon OM S-120's | Pioneer DJM-909 | Cerwin Vegas
    FS1 & 2 | TS-TSP2 - Audio 8 DJ | Maschine | SCS.1 (.1d &.1m)
    VCI-100 EAN GOLDEN SE (1 of 100)

Let's Mix youtube SoundCloud

Id personally use a decent quality soundcard and a decent quality turntable to do my recording over a cheaps usb turntable. Sure its convenient, but your going to get alot of phase wobble in your recordings and the quality isnt going to be as good as it can be.

i didn't get what the poster was saying about records not being stereo but i agree with bentosan better to do this with a good turntable and good soundcard IMO.

I also think for the average joe, it is going to be less frustrating to just buy a digital copy of the file then rip it from the record yourself.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCache View Post
    Vinyl is in stereo.
    Unless your are talking about pressings from way back in the day, or some bad whitelables/bootlegs.
    i knew that but someone in the thread said it would be recorded in mono,i looked it up and found alot of people have had this problem (mainly in audacity) but its easily sorted(in the setup for anyone needing to know) .thanx again bentosan i thought usb turntables looked too good to be true.when you gonna open a hotline for us

phase wobble caused by?

Quote Originally Posted by calvin01 View Post
    phase wobble caused by?
    Cheap low torque motors