Jazzmutant Lemur & Traktor Video.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Jazzmutant Lemur & Traktor Video.

Not sure if this has been posted before - apologies if it has.

Think the video is in Russian but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agqedvD3cxs

Interesting stuff - I want one and only got a Xone 4D last week

Tech Guru

I've used one on a few occasions, they're cool but really overpriced. Close to $2000 for a fairly small touch screen that's got PoE, a custom interface, and that's about it. The idea though is very ground breaking, I give it that.

I hope they release one that's a bit more large and has some knobs, cause manipulating virtual knobs that are the size of a quarter is a pain in the ass lol.

In the end, depends on your style, I'd say the 4D is a better purchase for the price (assuming it's got an SN over 90,000). If the lemur were $500 cheaper, I'd consider it for sure, and considering the manufacturing price is like...$200 or so, I think that's fair to request lol

I was really wondering you guys gave me a break when I bought it over ebay for half-price.
    The Lemur is totally genius, right now I'm taking small steps with it, first building my own template for TP.
    In the video it's DJ Kabukis Template from the Jazzmutant-Site, there is one for TP as well now, but only using two decks and 2 FX made me want to up it with a few more extra controls.
    Once I finish my layout I want to try advanced things like use the Multiballs for FX D/W etc. we'll see when I have time to do that. Right now I'm working on developing some NI-Maschine-Skills. With that and the interface I should be able to make decent sets.
    I mix stuff on my things...

Tech Mentor

It will be interesting to see what people make of this new Apple Tablet when it comes out. 10" touch screen with midi capabilities expanding from what's already available for the iPhone..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by famoussas32 View Post
    expanding from what's already available for the iPhone..
    I assume you're referring to this,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQUNEfjXO80

If you don't yet have the funds for a Lemur, this is a good simple alternative, at least to start with.
    Last edited by Weezi; 01-07-2010 at 07:58 PM.

While I appreciate innovation I have to chuckle at the numerous spots where, in the first video, the poor guy tries to make a control change and it was either inaccurate or nonresponsive due to finger placement. Perhaps this is a new device for him and his own gesticulations had not yet compensated, think muscle memory. But why overcomplicate such a simple concept. It may look cool to some degree but until such devices can perform with the tactility and precision of plastic and metal they are but novelty. Wonder what the power consumption differential between this and a USB midi device is? Might be something worth considering for all the "green" folks out there.

Oh yeah, what happens if power to the unit is "tripped up"? Setup process all over again while an audience watches in anticipation?
    Last edited by space monkey; 01-07-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    Oh yeah, what happens if power to the unit is "tripped up"? Setup process all over again while an audience watches in anticipation?

The same could be said for any computer interface though, Serrato, Traktor, I guess it comes with the technological advances? Though I'm sure these devices are more tempermental.
    Either way these seem to be working well for live set effects processing considering Daft, Deadmau5, and idk why but Justice all use them in their live performances pretty effectively. As far as live performance musical synthesizers, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezi View Post
    The same could be said for any computer interface though, Serrato, Traktor, I guess it comes with the technological advances? Though I'm sure these devices are more tempermental.
    Either way these seem to be working well for live set effects processing considering Daft, Deadmau5, and idk why but Justice all use them in their live performances pretty effectively. As far as live performance musical synthesizers, not so much.
    Fair enough. But 2 grand for an FX Lite-Brite® seems a bit impractical unless of course you are getting one for free.

Quote Originally Posted by space monkey View Post
    While I appreciate innovation I have to chuckle at the numerous spots where, in the first video, the poor guy tries to make a control change and it was either inaccurate or nonresponsive due to finger placement. Perhaps this is a new device for him and his own gesticulations had not yet compensated, think muscle memory. But why overcomplicate such a simple concept. It may look cool to some degree but until such devices can perform with the tactility and precision of plastic and metal they are but novelty. Wonder what the power consumption differential between this and a USB midi device is? Might be something worth considering for all the "green" folks out there.

The movies are a bad representation really. Novelty, hardly.

Not to complicate the fact that a lemur isn't USB powered, but why would one worry about the power consumption of the device that controls the playing in of the music, when many of the sound systems that actually reproduce the sound are wasting power at an enormous rate in comparison? Seems that a "green" sound system doesn't really exist, so why worry about the play button of it?

After a "tripped up" power problem, 12.2 seconds to a fully rebooted and like it never happened Lemur, timed from my iPhone running TouchOSC :-)

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

The green factor was kinda a joke.
    Just over 12 isn't as bad as I had speculated. After watching the video again I realize that much of the config (DHCP and ports) is saved after initial setup. What particular advantages does the Lemur provide over a knobs and pots paradigm? Does it require wireless enabled to operate?

thanks

Ooops, just noticed it is 10BaseT

Mathematical expressions and toggling interfaces between 2 programs is pretty cool>>virtualization of the controller would save a lot of desk space. This could be implemented into a "smart mixing" design with better....hmm, customability (word?)

A bigger screen and -500dollars and i'd start giving a serious look. It would not replace my analog mixer but I could definately see where it would shine (he he) using multiple applications and a lot of tangential tweaks in between the two--especially in FX and compressors.
    Last edited by space monkey; 01-08-2010 at 02:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast