Anyone got one of these USB cables I can buy off them? Or can I mod a USB port?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Anyone got one of these USB cables I can buy off them? Or can I mod a USB port?

Having difficulties finding one of these. Anyone got one by any chance? (but with a mini end to suit a korg nanokontrol.

Or one of these;

Or can someone tell me the best way to save as much space at the USB port. I'm looking to mount a nanokontrol into a new casing and the protruding USB cable is the only thing giving me grief. Or even better... how would I go about hard wiring a USB cable to the nano control to get rid of the mini port all together?

Thanks

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by corporation View Post
    Sorry, I totally forgot to mention Im in the UK. I found that site. Was wondering if anyone in the UK has one. But to be honest I think I'd sooner do the hard wire option. Does anyone know how I'd go about soldering a USB cable to where the usb port used to be if I were to unsolder it? Like if I cut the end off a cable, I imagine there's going to be 5 wires inside. How would I know which one goes where on the circuit board?

Thanks

it would void your waranty but you could just drill a new hole in the case in a more appropriate possition and wire the usb cable directly to the circuit board.

Failing that i have had simmilar issues in the past and made a super low profile cable (about 1mm) which isnt designed to be easily removed but wouldnt void the waranty. Im sure i could knock you one up pretty cheap but as i said it isnt intended to be regularly removed but this wont be an issue if your putting it in a new housing.
    Last edited by CerebralExcretion; 01-04-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post
    it would void your waranty but you could just drill a new hole in the case in a more appropriate possition and wire the usb cable directly to the circuit board.

Failing that i have had simmilar issues in the past and made a super low profile cable (about 1mm) which isnt designed to be easily removed but wouldnt void the waranty. Im sure i could knock you one up pretty cheap but as i said it isnt intended to be regularly removed but this wont be an issue if your putting it in a new housing.
    Interesting. I assume your planning to strip the plastic casing off the end of the cable so it can bend?
    If so that would be a good solution but it would make a very weak connector that would definitely not like being removed.

not far off yea, i actualy used seporate components but with the same effect, its supprisingly durable but pretty much needs needle nose pliers to remove it. The important thing is you dont have to modify the case. you can easily make a new face plate which sits under the knobs/faders to achieve the "single unit" look and feel which is presumably what dodge is trying to achieve along with his modified keyboard.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post

Yes please! That would be awesome! I'm probably going to ditch the bottom half of the casing on the nanokontrol so the new casing would sit flush with the left hand side of the innards of the kontrol (basically the same as the original casing only with no hole for the USB port) so it will hold the USB cable in permanently. I've picked up one of the new apple slim line aluminium keyboards that sits at the same hight as the nanokontrol. I'm going to be marking the keys up and probably painting both of them, then mounting them into one unit. My plan is to have the USB coming out of the nanokontrol and running into the USB port on the apple keyboard. So in the end I'll have just the keyboard's USB cable coming out and that's all I'll have to deal with when setting up.

ANYWAY!!! Sorry, yes, that would be sweet if you could do that for me. I'll pay with paypal or something? The cable itself only needs to be aprox 8cm long or so. And I've just noticed something. The regular sized USB cable actually protudes out further than the edge of the apple keyboard. Whats the likelyhoods of having the regular sized end at a right angle so that it doesnt stick out any further than 2cm?
    I'll take some pictures now and draw up what I am after with all the measurements so you can see what my plan is.

Cheers man.

Im not sure you need to remove the case unless you going for the slimest profile possible, i like your idea of using the kboards usb port to have the single usb cable.

Not sure i follow "The regular sized USB cable actually protudes out further than the edge of the apple keyboard" so if you can give a sketch and the measurements ill get the components and make it up for you, should cost less than £5. I'll have to order the male mini usb plug (dont think i have one in my spares box and local component store sucks) so can propably have it to you this time next week.

Have you thought of including a trackpad on your controller? If you have a spare ps2 (old purple/green port for mice/kboards) on your machine i can make you one. They can be used to control the cursor or if you use something like glovepie it can be used to control midi values for your effects much like a kaoss pad.

Tech Guru

The kaoss pad idea sounds good, but to be honest I'm not really a fan of that kinda thing. I prefer knobs and faders, also I want to avoid using a mouse. I'm using the up and down arrows on the keyboard to search through tracks (I don't want to look like I'm checking my emails while DJing). Thanks for the idea tho.
    Ignore what I said about the USB cable being too long on the keyboard end. There is going to be space in the casing to house it so no worries there.
    I have done a sketch for you to see what I am looking to do, excuse the childish looking drawing, it's the best I could knock up to get my point across. It's pretty straight forward, basically the nanokontrol & keyboard in one unit. I have come across one minor stumbling block tho, and that is that I wanted to take the top off of both the nanokontrol and keyboard and make my own surface with cut out holes for all the faders, knobs and keys to house the both of them. The only problem is that the apple keyboard is glued and welded together so getting the top off will probably be a right bitch and it is highly probable that something will get damaged in the process. When the keys are pushed in they sit flush with the existing top panel, so if I lay one over the top of that the keys will go in further than the new surface, which won't be very practical. Might just have the glue down both units in the base then rethink what I will do for the top panel.
    Anyway, sketch below

hmm, is this the style of kboard?

http://strictlycommercial.files.word...nfhgmedium.jpg

how about something like this:

The face plate (red bit) dosent need to be thick, a sheet of aluminum, steel or even some of the plastic sheet stuff used in model making would be fine (easy to cut to) then just cut a nice big hole for the kboard to sit in.

edit: sorry the spacing on the nanokontrol cutouts is awfull but you get the idea =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast