Genre Switching DJ'ing
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Genre Switching DJ'ing

Hey, i am just wanting advice from people who kinda mix top 40 tunes and just party tunes when dj'ing. I am saving up to buy speakers and lights to make me able to do mobile dj'ing because i have had to say no to loads of people who wanted to dj at there partys but cant because i had no equipment and it was to dear to hire and make any money from it at all. My girlfriends sister has already put me in to DJ at there pre formals in the coming months but i will not be playing EDM all night of course to cater for everyones needs.

Therefore I decided that i would buy my own gear so i can do these partys and within a couple of months i will have made my money back and have the rest for pocket money I am traditionally a House and trance DJ and mix with 4/4 beats so switching over to try and mix with such a variety of BPM's, style etc it has proved quite difficult making it sound good. i have been watching youtube videos of DJ AM, Ean himself etc and love his style of mixing it up etc and i dont want to be a dj that stops the track and simply starts the next. I am stil dj'ing EDM first and foremost but it is just a thing to tie me over and even maybe get me a bit more money plus when i have tried it it was brillaint fun but it just wasnt going nowwhere with me not having the right tracks, ideas etc. Has anyone any tips, videos, tune advice, mixing advice etc that will help me making this switch over alot more easier and enjoyable of course i have found this forum brilliant for asking for advice and its not like any other i have been on as everyone is so helpful with this. i will probably be mixing with timecoded vinyl and some midi controllers (midi controllers most of the time for convienance purposes) if this helps

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Keep in mind that faded blends, when one song fades and the other one starts later, can be used to a really powerful effect. Make sure you keep that one.

Mixing genres can be complicated. There are TONS of mixing techniques you can utilize, especially when combining midi and timecode.

I've taken a radio DJ style to it. I'll mark down (or set an Out marker) where the energy disappears from the track, and set a marker where the most noticeable part of the incoming track begins, and layer them at will. This can either be done by beatmatching, or by cutting, but if possible I try to slowly introduce the rhythm of the incoming track. This makes it easier to trick the crowd into not noticing the heavy changes of rhythm. This can, obviously, only be done by beatmatching.

I guess, in the end, the only way to do this is to have your transition tracks put together. It's much easier to go from funky electro to gangsta rap if you slide some electro-hip-hop in between, and then maybe blend in some hip hop rock hybrid before you go to pop rock. Y'know? Definitely do-able, and if you have a good understanding of your songs should be a breeze.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

This thread could help me out a bit as well, been asked to do a friends engagement party in a few weeks, I usually play indie/electro but I'm gona have to drop some classics and top 40, so any other ideas would be greatly appreciated
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Weddings and engagement parties, from my perspective, are a different beast. The crowd isn't going to be sitting there and critiquing your every mix and blend. They want to have fun.

So you can have fades and can talk on the mic over a harder mix, and all. Keep in mind that a lot of the crowd isn't even going to be listening until they get drunk and won't care anymore.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Too true, very good point,

probably a good job, it would be fair to say I'll be too drunk to care aswell
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

Tech Guru

the most inspiration and knowledge i've gained for my eclectic mixing techniques come from just listening to other guys who do eclectic mixing and experimenting with different blend/transition techniques - some tricks will work for certain song combinations better than others, it's a mater of just taking the time of doing some trial and error. it is more difficult finding combos that work than it is compared to just doing single genre and flat bpm mixes, but in my opinion the challenge makes it more interesting and enjoyable.

i'd have to say i've been most influenced by Solid Steel Radio for the multi-genre stuff. listen to this religiously and your bound to pick up a few ideas. cheers

http://www.ninjatune.net/solidsteel/index.php?id=
    Last edited by wrong chris; 01-04-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Tech Guru

i am no guru .. and for the most part my transitions consist of maybe adding a delay on the previous song, skipping part of the intro's of the next pop/rock track and cross-fading maybe 5 seconds .. but i just feel that blending tracks too much when doing rock/pop is also not good.

people that go for rock/pop like the tracks the way they are and they want to be able to recognize the track .. so that they can scream and holler and get all the friends on the dance floor with which they have a history with the given song.

now of course if you can really put a cool spin on things .. all the better .. but do not be surprised if the audience doesnt appreciate it :-/
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

don't forget that some DJ music websites, you can buy what are called "transitions" personally, i don't like to use these, i kinda see them as cheating, if you know what i mean, but a lot of serato vinyl use them around here...

these are pre-studio made tracks that pull the tempo down or up, look here http://www.crooklynclan.net/

apply, and you'll get in, there you can buy tracks and such...
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

just turn the radio off when you're done with the top 40 ;p
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    just turn the radio off when you're done with the top 40 ;p
    don't sound like to much of a top40 fan lol...
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast