Sync: cheating or not cheating in demos
    Tech Guru

Default Sync: cheating or not cheating in demos

I just was putting together a demo mix tonight and needless to say screwed up a few times. I accidentally would switch songs in the playing deck or accidentally nudge the X-Fader or the track would be out of sync and i'd sometimes take a bit long to get it back into sync. So I was thinking it'd be nice to just use sync for demo purposes because then it's going to be one less thing to worry about. I can beatmatch without it but in this case I just want to put something together flawlessly and quickly. Obviously live is a different scenario but in the case of a demo you want to put your best foot forward and be basically error free. So what do you guys think.

Don't sweat it dude. Sync away! you are replacing a task which is 20% of the job but takes 80% of your time, with fun stuff like gridding ;p
    Last edited by Jester; 01-05-2010 at 06:03 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Just go for it. More important issues are the choice of tunes, how you drop them, getting the levels right etc... The powers that be that listen to your demo just want to enjoy the mix, and the same goes for the guys on the dance floor.
    www.facebook.com/djseddonofficial

^^ please join and support controllerism!

Tech Guru

i would phrase the question the other way around:
    what are you trying to proof by not using sync when playing live? if not using sync doesnt serve a real purpose .. then i would say you are just being stupid at the expense of the audience. i mean why would you want to do "beatmatching mistakes" when playing live if you could easily avoid it?

if you prefer manually beatmatching when playing live to give it a less "robotic feel" then its all good, but why wouldn't you want the same on the demo?
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    you are replacing a task which is 20% of the job but takes 80% of your time
    Hear hear, since I moved to Traktor my EQ'ing has gotten better and I focus far more on the waveforms to ensure I get my cuts/drops right

I had this discussion recently with a pal that mixes deep house, in that he felt it was too 'robotic' and sort of cheating... My answers was if you play out then the crowd will want the tightest mix possible, and syncing is a way to help that happen, they won't care how you did it

(If I wanted to beatmatch now I'd probably do it with vinyl or Serato tbh)
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

my personal opinion is to have the demo try to represent where you are at the time, i.e. if you're a less then perfect dj then you're demo tape should reflect that.

You give out a "flawless" demo mix and but you can't reproduce it in a live setting it looks worse then sending a "real" demo mix, maybe not getting the job, improving & becoming a better dj and sending out a better demo as your skill set improves.

so IMO if you are using sync in the live setting then using sync in the demo isn't cheating. if you aren't using sync live then to use it in the demo IS cheating....yourself

to me this is different then whether or not using sync is cheating....that's a pretty well beaten horse
    Last edited by charo; 01-05-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk