AKIA MPD 24 and Traktor 1.2

Default AKIA MPD 24 and Traktor 1.2

I am currently using a faderfox DJ2 and feel it is firstly too small for me and secondly too limited in it's practical use without the addition of DX2 (I think it's the DX2).

I was thinking of getting A vci 100se but have the opportunity to get an akai MPD24 for about £70, which is a proper bargain.

Does anyone use one with traktor and are custom mappings readily available (the secod part I can search for on my own, tbh, it's more the first question that interests me)

Your experiences with one?

Thanks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TOO, BTW

OH and HAPPY FIRST POST TO ME, TOO!
    Last edited by ponyboy; 01-05-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: addition

A quick search finds a multiple of mpd24 threads, hasty me!

Tech Mentor

i use the mpd24 with traktor pro. only got it there and christmas there though have only used it twice one of them being playgin out becuase i have had so much on the last couple of weeks

Quote Originally Posted by manus View Post
    i use the mpd24 with traktor pro. only got it there and christmas there though have only used it twice one of them being playgin out becuase i have had so much on the last couple of weeks
    What sort of mapping do you use?

Pads for triggering loops and start/stop/cue/cup, faders for channels, knobs for wet/dry on the fx and loop length etc?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
    What sort of mapping do you use?

Pads for triggering loops and start/stop/cue/cup, faders for channels, knobs for wet/dry on the fx and loop length etc?
    you got it in one and for hot cues

Tech Wizard

Long post. Here's my mpd24 setup with traktor.

You'll need the latest version of Traktor to get the most out of this.
    Just to start this off, I won't be posting my .TSI file for this. I believe that setting everything up yourself will allow you to modify my settings to fit your own workflow. Plus it gets the creative juices flowing and will let you come up with ideas I haven't thought of yet, that I can steal from you. Kinda that whole "Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime" kinda ethic.

The easiest way to look at it is to think of each of the vertical sets of 4 pads as functions corresponding functions to each of the 4 decks in traktor. Like a channel strip on a mixer.

In the end you will be able to control all four decks with ease, mash fx like mad, do your entire set without touching your mouse or toggling which deck is being focused and generally have a blast with traktor using only one midi interface laid out in a logical manner.

Firstly, I have some main functions mapped to my laptop keyboard that are also mapped to bank A of the MPD. That way they are still quickly accessible when I am fooling around in other banks. These are as follows:

Load into decks
    A=deck a
    S=deck b
    Z=deck c
    X=deck d

The following keys set the loop in of the corresponding decks
    Q=deck a
    W=deck b
    E=deck c
    R=deck d

These row of keys above simply toggle "loop active"
    1=deck a
    2=deck b
    3=deck c
    4=deck d

These keys are set to turn on cue monitoring when held down. I find "hold" makes things less confusing than "toggle" since you don't have to worry about them being switched on by accident if they are not held down.
    F1=deck a
    F2=deck b
    F3=deck c
    F4=deck d

This set of keys are double macro'd to both "play" and "sync"
    F5=deck a
    F6=deck b
    F7=deck c
    F8=deck d

The keys below those bend the tempo of those decks
    5=deck a tempo bend +
    T=deck a tempo bend -

6=deck b tempo bend +
    Y=deck b tempo bend -

7=deck c tempo bend +
    U=deck c tempo bend -

8=deck d tempo bend +
    I=deck d tempo bend -

These keys simply reset the loop length value to 32 from whatever it was at before (which is handy when loop lengths get all goofed around using bank D on the MPD)

F9=deck a reset to 32
    F10=deck b reset to 32
    F11=deck c reset to 32
    F12=deck d reset to 32

AND NOW, ONTO THE ACTUAL UNIT!...
    ----
    Let's save the pads for last. I will simply name the faders and knobs by their names on the unit to make their functions easier to map for you.

Faders:
    F1=controls parameters for ALL chained fx in traktor
    F2=deck a volume
    F3=deck b volume
    F4=deck c volume
    F5=deck d volume
    F6= same as F1

Knobs:
    K1=deck c low end eq (set to max value of 62 on MPD) (raises bass to 0db)
    K2=deck d low end eq (set to max value of 62 on MPD)
    K3=deck a low end eq (set to max value of 62 on MPD)
    K4=deck b low end eq (set to max value of 62 on MPD)

K5=deck c scroll through cue points/loops
    K6=deck d scroll through cue points/loops
    K7=deck a scroll through cue points/loops
    K8=deck b scroll through cue points/loops

Bank A pads:

X X X X Loop active on/off
    X X X X Tempo bend +
    X X X X Tempo bend -
    X X X X Play/Sync
    A B C D

Bank B pads:
    Requires a bit of explanation. The latest version of Traktor allows 4 fx units to be used at once. If you use all your fx in chained mode instead of advanced, you get 3 fx per unit. 12 fx and all. I use all 12 fx at the same time. Choose whichever fx you want and put em on whichever of the 12 pads you want. F1 and F6 faders having the same function will allow you to grab a fader on either side no matter where your hands are on the pads.

The bottom row of pads on my MPD are set up like this

pad1=toggles on/off for all 4 fx units on deck a
    pad2=toggles on/off for all 4 fx units on deck b
    pad3=toggles on/off for all 4 fx units on deck c
    pad4=toggles on/off for all 4 fx units on deck d

The remaining 12 pads turn on each of the 12 fx in use when held down. Additionally due to the bottom row of pads, you can for example, have 2 tracks going, with all fx units on for deck a & off for deck b, strike pad 1 and pad 2 quickly on the mpd, and the fx will instead alter the sound of the opposite decks.

Be creative. Hold down the pad you assigned to the delay, then hold down the beatmasher, then the transpose and if shit gets too crazy, just let all the pads go, throw the switch down and the song is back to normal. No more boring DJ guy standing motionless behind a box of knobs.This shit absolutely RIPS and looks like this in execution...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeA6rVj473o

Bank C
    This bank is for hammering out drum beats using cue points in all 4 decks. I have them set to utilize hotcues 5-8. Since hotcues 1-4 tend to be used for other shit.
    X X X X Cue point 8
    X X X X Cue point 7
    X X X X Cue point 6
    X X X X Cue point 5
    A B C D

Bank D
    X X X X loop length +
    X X X X loop length -
    X X X X beatjump +
    X X X X beatjump -
    A B C D

Hope this helps some of you struggling to make this controller useful for a program like traktor. If you end up using this and you spot me in a bar, buy me a long island and smoke me up behind the club!