Joined the Macbook club, need few tips

Default Joined the Macbook club, need few tips

Finaly, installation of Traktor got sorted out, so thats a check (dont ask me why it took me 2-3 weeks, still quite mad about it). I have few questions.

1) so, TSPRO 1.2.3 should be fine with OSX 10.5.8. ? can I trust it, or should i look into downgrading OS? - atm didnt have enough test sessions to see for myself.

2) PC, aka windows had to be streamlined to run Traktor smoothly, i think Mac should be good to go, but i am not sure if thats true. i bet that someone can come up with just few nice tips and tricks about how to deal with OSX (what to do, what not to do)

3) i intend to run this mackbook pro just for Traktor, but ocasionaly i will jump here and there online for web and updates (so its not strictly Dedicated Audio Workstation - DAW, but very close). I was told that there are no viruses for OSX, but i found out that intel based Macs are threatened by PC viruses anyway...

4) streamlining PC included disabling loads of hardware devices (especialy network devices), should i worry about that in OSX?

cannot think of anything else, but i will come up with more points later in the thread, unless everybody says something like - "stupid! dont do anything, mac is fine the it is"

side note: have a bit respect, i am still new to this OSX and exploring new things every day.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

I run mine for everything and is fine. I know you had that initial nightmare, which there can be when they run a OSX update, but now you are up and running i wouldn't stress to much now.

I have my airport on all the time and there is no beef.

Re virus I still think that you're pretty safe on a mac.

There was an article on here about streamlining your mac if you really want to though

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/08/0...c_dj_optimize/
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

I am totally up to date with OSX and Traktor. No issues at all. I have my airport on at home but to be safe I turn it off at gigs. I also turn bluetooth off as you wont want messages popping up with people trying to send you things from their phone (it's been known that some peoples phones randomly try to send things or connect to other devices via bluetooth without the user telling it to... I've had that in shopping malls many a time).

ok, seems i was worried bit too much (all those years on windows just makes you paranoid to everything)
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kupujte_Pytle View Post
    ok, seems i was worried bit too much (all those years on windows just makes you paranoid to everything)
    lol

Yeah the mac world is different. I switched from windows two years ago and I now how you feel.

Btw I run traktor with Snow Leopard 10.6.2 and it runs smoothly.

Tech Guru

It's just a different perspective, not a different world. I own a 15" Unibody and love it, however like anything else made by man, it's not bullet proof. Yes, though few and far between, Mac viruses do exist, and while it's nowhere near what Windows has to deal with (since it has a larger market share), it's something to take into consideration. Myself, I run a virtual machine with snapshots to do any downloads or checking anything I'm not sure about.

File permissions are a huge thing with any Unix/BSD kernel, this is something which should be checked regularly, as with fragmented preference/configuration files which packages often leave behind after an uninstall or migration. Don't forget, as with any OS, cache is also something which should be regularly cleared to prevent residual crap from hanging around.

This is one I use regularly:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ties/onyx.html

Trust me, if Macs were all bulletproof as they say they are, there wouldn't be applications like this to maintenance them. They require upkeep like anything else, just a bit differently, and usually on a less consistent basis than a PC.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I own a 15" Unibody and love it, however like anything else made by man, it's not bullet proof.
    You're correct about not quite bulletproof...
    http://www.cultofmac.com/welcome-to-...-macbook/23431

Tech Guru

lmfao, the moment I posted, I just waited for someone to link to that. :P

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I own a 15" Unibody and love it, however like anything else made by man, it's not bullet proof.
    Apart from a bullet proof vest.

Tech Mentor

This might help

http://www.torq-dj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15192

I picked up a few tips from there