Specific questions on Behringer bcd3000 vs Hercules DJ Console Mk2

Default Specific questions on Behringer bcd3000 vs Hercules DJ Console Mk2

Hi

I am almost a total noob into the world of DJing, but being a musician, am fascinated by the DJing scene.

To just get a feel of the thing, I want to purchase one of the two above mentioned controllers, and since I am based in India (and these devices are not available here), I am unable to actually visit a store and see the two devices working. Obviously, before shelling out large sums on either of these, I wanted to make sure it is exactly what I want.

Hence, would appreciate answers to some of the questions below that would help me make my choice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. What attracts me to the bcd3000 is the number of controls directly accessible from the console. Am I right in understanding that it is not possible to access all of these controls (such as FX volumes, scratching, Master volume, Gain, Key matching, etc) directly from the Mk2 console?

2. The bcd3000 has only 1 set of outs, while the Mk2 has 2 sets of outs (booth monitor + audience?). How important is it to have the extra set of outs? Is it possible to work with just the one?

3. Is it true that the bundled Traktor LE is inflexible on looping (only 4 bar loops, to be specific)? I plan to use a lot of loops in my mixes, and if Traktor's not good for this, should I stick with the Mk2 with VDJ LE (again, I assume that this is flexible on looping)?

4. I run a laptop/PC with XP. Is it true that the bcd3000 shows glitches on XP and VDJ?

5. Are the rubber buttons and knobs on the Mk2 long lasting?

6. Is the bcd3000 USB powered?

7. I guess the audio output quality on both the machines is comparable, so that shouldn't be a differentiating factor, right?

8. The Mk2 comes with a cover and carry strap, which I guess is useful for storage and transportation. Is there something similar for the bcd3000 that I can buy? I don't want to be breaking off knobs lugging it around.

9. What would be your overall recommendation between the two? Thanks to some weird shipping rates, I am getting the Mk2 for about $30 cheaper than the bcd3000. Would that affect your recommendation?

I've been through similar threads on this forum, but many people here seem to advise against getting either of these machines, and saving up for something better. Thanks for the advice, guys, but that is not an option for me right now. Also, would appreciate actual experience-based responses (as opposed to perception-based ones :-P).

Sorry for the flood of questions, but I really need to take a call on this in the next 10 hours or so (or I lose the best price on the Mk2 and it shoots up out of my league), and I couldn't get answers to these online.

Once again, thanks for your inputs.

Cheers
    Sid

welcome to the forums.

i'll try to answer some of your questions:, but i did find this comparing the two: http://djrocket.wordpress.com/2008/0...j-console-mk2/

1)from that link there is a side by side comparsion of both and yes the mk2 is a smaller more compact unit with assignable controls surfaces, but if you get creative with your midi assignments and modifiers you could get more from the controls it does have.

2)i believe both are 4-in 4-out soundcards, with the 3000 your second stereo out is the headphone jack.

4)search the vdj forum for compatibility issues.

5)according to that link they get sticky

6)no the bcd is externally powered.

7)i would say pretty close, i would prob give the slightest advantage to the herc here

8)since you're already dealing with trying to find this stuff, i would try to find an old laptop bag or backpack or briefcase that you could use over trying to have something shipped in.

9)to me the biggest thing to consider would be the compact size of the mk2. if that could be an advantage for your use then take that advantage. if you aren't as concerned for the size and mobility and would find the overall larger spread out surface of the bcd and increased controls, then go with that.

I would have to assume that the jogs are better on the mk2 just cause they are so bad on the bcd but i haven't tested the mk2

good luck.

Thanks a lot Charo..

Any other inputs, anyone?

I'm a new(ok, bought it used) Mk2 user, it has its pro's(multy out and inputs) and its con's(too little space), but it's a decent controller, I would have bought Behringer thou, but i got MK2 cheap, but BDC3000 has more controls, has EQ kills(I had to DIY myself more buttons for kill's) etc, but it's too big, and not enough outs and ins. I dont use outer sources yet, but I have that option anytime. at first i really needed pitch faders and seperate effect buttons and i had to use them with modifiers etc, but now i bought Novation Nocturn for effects, so EQ is only for EQ and I dont need volume faders or pitch faders, so their assigned to another things.
    My buttons don't get stiky at all, but now i got my NEW Nocturn I can see in comparison that the buttons are little yellow, I dont knwo, but maybe the previous owner was a smoker:P

But recently one of the faders broke, it sent signal all the time or something, so I opened the box and noticed that it's giving false connection, so I removed it completely, I was planning to put it back when I have the time, but now writing this answer I got an idea of maybe a rotary knob instead Or actually I already have infinite number of knobs on my nocturn I'll think about that:P

Anyway, i almost didn't use the normal layout at all, so I'm planning of painting it, because only EQ, Load, Play, Pause, Sync & seek buttons do what they were meant to do.
    So If u buy the MK2, I can help u with the layout(only in traktor:P).

But still I reccomend saving more money and buying something more expensive. i knwo It's cheap, but I would have bought something else a long time ago, but I just can't bear that MK2 would just stay untouched then, I don't like when things dont have usage(Sorry for my english):P

Thanks for the inputs guys. Appreciate it.

For anyone who's interested, I decided to go in for the Behringer BCD3000. I guess the larger console and flexibility of having more buttons swung it this way.

Will post reviews once I get the thing.

Cheers
    Sid