OT Quick photoshop query...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OT Quick photoshop query...

Hey peeps,
    I know this is way off the beaten track for DJTT, but I know someone here can help me (and it saves signing up to a graphic designers forum!)

I've made a club night poster in Photoshop, and it's looking dope - although the only format it'll save in is .psd format - otherwise it totally fucks up

I've tried exporting it as a .jpeg (which would be ideal for facebook and printing etc, but it simply all goes to pot - I don't know if it's due to there being too many layers (I threw a whole load of polygons around to make an angular background..) but it just goes mental!

Anyone in the photoshop game know the clearly very nooob reason behind this tragedy?

Cheers xx

try saving it as a .psd, reloading it then try to save as the .jpg again. seems to work for me anyway.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

How does it fuck up exactly?, like glitches graphics/color channels?, or doesn't do it at all?. Have you tried saving in PNG or TIFF format?, or flattening the layers just to see if that solves the potential layering problem?

-- for online versions of your picture you need to set :

Resolution to : 72dpi
    Size : desired pixel height and width.
    this can be done by selecting "image > image size ."

and Graphics mode to RGB
    this can be done by selecting "image > mode > RGB ."

-- for Printed version you need to set

Resolution to : 300dpi
    Size : desired pixel height and width.
    this can be done by selecting "image > image size ."

and Graphics mode to CMYK
    this can be done by selecting "image > mode > CMYK ."

note: if you try saving jpg etc.. for the web in CMYK you will get some pretty weird shit going on.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

CS4PS? or what? no matter you can get around it easy, open the picture you want to render, on your keyboard locate & hit "print screan" sometimes labled as "prtsc", open up paint and go to: edit > paste or CTRL+V, crop out the surrounding stuff (you'll see what i mean) & save it as .jpeg
    Last edited by LiveFastStephen; 01-10-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFastStephen View Post
    CS4PS? or what? no matter you can get around it easy, open the picture you want to render, on your keyboard locate & hit "print screan" sometimes labled as "prtsc", open up paint and go to: edit > paste or CTRL+V, crop out the surrounding stuff (you'll see what i mean) & save it as .jpeg
    for print that would not work as the print screen only save in a 72dpi file.
    You would get a horrid looking print from that.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

ok, basically it's definitely a problem with the layer compression. If i try to merge the background layers, or export it as a jpeg or any other format which merges the layers, the background (which is a load of shapes in 3 different blocks of colour to create a sort of ravey 'mountains' feel.. - nb the night's called 'winter rave') just goes mental - the blocks break up and squares of the wrong colour break through, and parts of it randomly pixilates.. I could quite easily just redo the background with less layers, which would probs solve it, but i want to find out whats wrong!

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Save the composite as a different name (encase you do enough cr@p to where you can hit undo in the history browser) right-click on any of the layers and select "flatten image" it will make it one layer, try saving as: whatever.jpeg or select "save for web and devices" change it from .GIF to .JEPG & try it then

Tech Mentor

layer compression? you mean the "merge" function or control/command + E ?

Why don't you merge the layers before exporting to jpg. I've been working for 10 years with photoshop and this have never happened to me.

IMO the problem is more likely to be that you are working in CMYK mode for printing, and when you export to JPG your are converting the image to RGB which is a completely different color system.

CMYK deals with inks, RGB deals with light. A monitor works in RGB, therefore Photoshop does a conversion so you can see it in RGB, although the info is in CMYK. There is something called profiles which tells Photoshop how to make the conversion from ink to light, or CMYK to RGB. Hell there are even profiles for converting from RGB to RGB...

You can change this configs in Edit -> Color settings.

A possible problem is you're using one profile when editing, but a different one when converting to JPG.

Try this. Open your psd and check in the menu Image -> Mode if RGB is checked. If it's checked I'm completely wrong, but if not it means you're in CMYK.

If you are in CMYK the the solution could be to switch the mode to RGB and the change the colors of each layer until it looks good on RGB.

This is the way to work... designers do two versions: one for paper and one for screen.

I usually start with the screen version because the tweaking to go to paper is less than if I do the other way around.

Here's some more adivce. Make sure your image mode is set to 8bits. You can check this by going to Image>Mode>8Bits/Channel. Anything above 8 will prevent you from saving as JPEG.

Also as other have said you can just flatten the whole image save it as a JPEG or PDF (I'd recommend PDF for printing).
    The Prime Directive - Electro, Disco & House
    My SoundCloud account: www.soundcloud.com/the-prime-directive
    My Design & Animation Website: www.mintyfreshdesigns.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast