Noob and need some beginner help/suggestions
    Tech Student

Default Noob and need some beginner help/suggestions

Alright, im brand new to mixing and making beats. I have some experience with Fruity Loops and protools from when i was in high school but other than garage band i have no experience. Im wanting to get an easy to use program and a simple midi controller that i can learn the fundamentals of mixing and beat making with. i know traktor is popular around here and im interested in trying it, Is it too complicated for a beginner or is it good to use to learn the basics? i was also looking to get a korg nanoKEY or nanoPad to use along with the program. any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

-Nick

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

For a start, Traktor isn't too complicated. They give you a basic keypad set up, and with some modifications to a nanokey or pad you should be fine.

If you're interested in beatmaking, though, then Traktor can't really help you.

If you're willing to just throw yourself into it, you might want to look into Ableton. Yeah it might be really complicated, but with some patience, tutorials and books you would probably go more in the direction you want.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Student

Cool man, i appreciate that. Do you recomend Logic pro at all?

I know lots of people that use and love Logic. If you're on a Mac and have the need for all it offers then I'd say rock the fuck on. Learning curve is fucking epically steep, though
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Student

Yeah it does seem really complicated. ill check out Ableton for sure im gunna have to find some serious tutorial vids first. Thanks again bro

Not a problem at all.

Watch em for Logic too.

But I have a feeling Ableton will be more your styyle.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Could not agree more, Logic is the pro studio workhorse DAW like Pro Tools, but ableton?

Lemme just say that if you want to do this, really want to, and can put in the months of studying just to get past ableton's learning curve; not to mention the audio engineering 101 you'll have to take just for anything to make sense, then it will be the best fucking thing thing that ever happened to you. Was for me.

Im less then a year deep messing with ableton, i'd been clueless to how much actual pro audio knowledge was needed, but I feel like i know what im doing now, maybe not a big label beatport release but my re-edits and remixes are solid. Doesnt mean you cant whip up a few beats within a couple days of first using it, but actually producing good quality stuff is understandably never easy.

Thing about ableton is it makes sense the moment you look at it even if you dont understand the depth and detail. I DJ'd since high school knew my way around Cool Edit and it just felt inviting. Its not the best and has problems once to get down to it, but there isnt anything else out there quite like it and for me it just immedietly clicked and I fell in love. Might not work for you and does have real flaws, but Intro is only 99 bucks, free demo on thier site and couple days till they unveil the serato partnership.

case closed.

Tech Wizard

bump for a noob question again but i want to make sure I get the right DAW; I've been mixing for a long time on traktor but am trying to get into music production. For house/electro music and usually not using much hardware based instruments, would logic be a good choice? It seems like some people really like ableton as well. I have a mac btw.