Tips for cue point juggling?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Tips for cue point juggling?

So, I got an akai mpd24, modified the pads, and am all set up for juggling cue points. My only problem is, what are good ways to practice this? I think I have the cue points set up fine, but I don't know of a way to get a good rhythym going. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think a good way to learn is to mimic drum beats you really like. So you set a loop, and start banging out the cue points over it, kinda like scratching over a loop, y'know? Record it and listen back and see what you need to work on, and before you know it you'll have your own rhythms you'll be able to improv after a while.

Also, watch any cue juggling videos you can find.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Agree with DvlsAdcvt!
    Put some hotcues on a drum, bass, hihat etc - loop a nice track and when you are ready to move on , try twist some vocals on it too

Tech Mentor

To develop your rhythm I recommend you practice over some sort of metronome. It may be a simple click track, or over a looped drum track. Start with on the beat whole notes and then move up to more complex stuff.

If you really want to get into rhythm one fun thing to do is buying a djembe and playing it with friends, at parties, etc. That will develop your musical instintcs far more than pressing pads IMO. But it all depends how far you want to go.

There's this rhythm called "paradiddle" you play on the djembe for starting to develop hand independency. It goes like this. Each hit follows the beat. When you get it go faster and faster:

R L R R L R L L

Also if you're planning on producing music in the future, taking piano classes will also develop each of your fingers and give a good rhythmic knowledge, plus you'll learn about harmonies, notes, etc.

Tech Mentor

I found this pretty inspiring:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6bapWp-4k0

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the responses, any suggestions for the kind of loop to mash over?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I'd start with a simple drum beat, kinda like a metronome but with more balls.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Speaking of hand independence does anyone here have suggestions for scratching. I find it so hard to do while scratching.

Tech Wizard

It's my understanding that "select/set+store hotcue" is the function to assign to the pads to juggle cue points, but why does it set a cue when I hit the button instead of trigger ones i've already set?

it only sets a cue if you don't have one already stored in this hotcue.
    not triggering the normal cue, just hotcues in the list below your waveform-display

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast