Practicing without the Expense
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Practicing without the Expense

Hey all,

I'm new here and have been reading and watching videos for a very long time now. I think I have it all down equipment wise with what I need to actually start playing, but before I even do that, I still need tons of practice matching beats and the other basics.

I have been trying my best without using any equipment other than Traktor Pro but since I don't have a sound card, I can't listen to the track I want to mix in. But again, it's just practice.

My question is this...I would like to buy perhaps the Echo Indigo sound card for my PC so I can accomplish this, but do not want to purchase the amp or speakers quite at this time. So is it possible for me to plug in my headphones in the one output of the Echo, and my computer speakers into the other, or is the amp/speaker route the only route I can go. It would be nice to just be able to practice more with the standing laptop speakers until I got the hang of it.

Thank you in advance.

Tech Convert

if you happen to use mac os x, you could just use the aggregate audio feature, that will utilize both the internal and external sound card simultaneously.

Then you can cue from the external sound card, while the master output routed to the internal sound card/laptop speakers.

Unfortunately I am running an HP with Windows...anything I can do with that?

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

i would highly recommend this set up i just had. the herules rmx & a pair of decks, with a built in sound card in the rmx not only for speaker out puts and head phone out puts, but inputs for time code it's a killer deal. then if you save a little more or even just pick up a used set of tables or cd players you'll already have a damn decant little controller as well as a 4in-4out sound card for timecode control. (it's easy to set up for virtual dj, it's not so easy to set up for traktor without there audio4 or 8, youtube it for vids) good luck man! put in good karma and pay your dues and you'll come up on a badass set up in no time!

I am hoping you don't have a hacked version of Traktor... since you can't afford a soundcard or speakers... and you are on a PC...

Anyways... i would save up for the audio 8 or other soundcard, get a mixer or controler and do it right. why people try and cut corners and do stuff half assed is beyond me.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    why people try and cut corners and do stuff half assed is beyond me.
    What most people dont realise (its easy in hindsight i guess) is that you end up spending a lot more in the long run.

Buy carefully, buy well and you wont regret your purchases and you wont spend too much.

Cut corners and you will end up with a room full of junk and no money left.

K

Thank you all for the replies.

No, not a hacked version at all, just thought I would spend the money on the software and learning and practicing as much as I could before shelling out a lot more money for other things. I am perfectly content with how I am learning now, but just wanted to play it through my home laptop speakers before buying real, big decent ones.

Say I purchased a controller, either one with a built in SC or one without and purchased an external SC to go along with it....is therenow any way I can play/practice through my own speakers that I connect to my laptop, or must I still buy the amp and speakers to go along with the controller?

Good to hear you are doing it the right way. You wont regret it.

You are actually doing it the way i did. Get the right software and a laptop and learn the program inside out.
    Some guys get ahead of themsleves and go out and buy a load of gear and soon learn that they want to do it a different way and are stuck with stuff they dont want.

What ever way you Output your sound (external soundcard or controller with card) you can still use you current setup. No need to buy and amp and speakers, especially if your playing in you bedroom.

Dont buy the stuff you dont need. Just buy the stuff you really need and make wise choices.

Whatever your thinking of buying people on DJTTs will have a good idea of how good/bad it is.
    Dont be afraid to ask cus there is a lot of crappy gear out there that can draw you in with cheap prices that will break on you real quickly.

Personally id recomend:
    Traktor Pro and the NI Audio 2 soundcard. You can find great packages of the 2 together and its quality gear.
    OR If you buy the Audio 2 you will get a FREE copy of Traktor Pro LE (the lite version of Traktor) with this you get an upgrade to the full version of Traktor at a great discount price. Winner.

Thank you very much for the response as well as support. I didn't want to get ahead of myself like you said, and learning the software is the most important thing to me so far. I was worried that I would buy something that I thought was useful and it turn out that I couldn't even use it with my set-up.

I will definitely look into a controller and sound card to use with Traktor, as long as I can be sure that I can be a bedroom DJ and utilize my headphones through one output and the Logitech speakers I use to listen to music. I basically want to get great at beat matching and song transitioning, as I hate a poor one in the club.

So before I take the plunge and purchase a controller, how exactly would I utilize my speakers I have now? They run off a basic 3/16" jack that I always ran into my PC....does this now go into the controller, and the controller into the PC?

First off you need to read about basic setups.
    Go to the NI wesbite and read about how you setup Traktor.
    This for a start: http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...2-dj/?page=914

You would connect your Soundcard to the laptop via USB.
    You then connect your headphones to one Output on the soundcard and your speakers to the other output.
    When it is working you will hear the playback in the Speakers and you will be able to cue in your headphones.
    Easy ..!

Looks like you will have to buy and audio cable convertor but thats an easy thing.
    Your Logitech speakers are not ideal. Do you have a stereo system that you can plug into.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast