Which in-ear headset?
    Tech Wizard

Default Which in-ear headset?

Hey guys
    Went to the doctor yesterday for a common tjeck and got my ears tested. I thought my result were a bit scary so now i wanna try bying a in-ear headset to protect my ears!
    I went to my local dj shop and found out they didn't have any so now I hope you have some ideas of which i should buy?
    I read the post on the site regarding this subject but since its from october i thought there might have come some new and better ones on the market.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

are you looking for in ear monitoring or ear attenuators?

decent plugs (which cost around £120 in the UK) are well worth it, and are the most important piece of kit any DJ can carry with them in my opinion. Using them would mean that you can cue as i expect you do at the moment, with the booth monitors and standard cans.

If you go down the in-ear headphone route, it's a totally different way of monitoring the music, and one which I've always found to have a fairly antisocial vibe to it.. I've tried it before, and it's really not my style, but it obviously works for some people. There's also no guaranteeing it protects your hearing too, as you can easily turn them up too high, and then inevitably, having the source inside your ear will only be far worse for the hearing!

I'd recommend a decent pair of musicians/DJs custom fitted ear attenuators - that should solve your worries

Tech Mentor

The advantage of IEM is you always have a good reference sound, over the lottery that is djing in clubs. It's a lottery because most of the time the sound is bad, at least in my experience.

BUT yes, IEM are far more dangerous, and also you're djing in your bubble...

I use the in ear monitors... I have M-Audio IE-20XB's. I really like them... I use them just the way you do with traditional cans. I know some people leave them in all the time, but i tend to pop one outevery now and then... this way i am not blocked from the crowd. I was never someone who liked loud monitors in the booth. When the booth is quality you won't be going deaf. One of my favorite booths to DJ in is Pacha's main room, the booth is solid in there!

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    BUT yes, IEM are far more dangerous, and also you're djing in your bubble...
    I disagree.

IEMs allow you to cue at a lower volume than you would with headphones (provided you get a pair with good dB reduction and a good seal).

They are only "far more dangerous" if you turn the volume up beyond necessary levels. If that's the case, then the problem there is the user, not the IEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I disagree.

IEMs allow you to cue at a lower volume than you would with headphones (provided you get a pair with good dB reduction and a good seal).

They are only "far more dangerous" if you turn the volume up beyond necessary levels. If that's the case, then the problem there is the user, not the IEMs.
    Yeah... I am able to cue with such a low volume now using the IEMs... Mine literally cancel out all other noise around me when they are fully in my ears.