What are using to control 4 decks?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default What are using to control 4 decks?

I started a post asking if anyone uses time code in their 4 decks set up. Now I was just wondering what people use to control 4 decks and how they have it set up on a pure midi set up. I want to maybe get a new controller but struggling to see how I'm going to control 4 decks. Obviously people are doing it so if someone could shed some light on the situation that'd be awesome.
    I am currently using an external QWERTY keyboard due to the amount of buttons and a nanokontrol for the rotary faders to trigger FX.
    What I have mapped to the buttons is; Load deck, play/pause, 5 hot cues, loop in, loop out, loop active, loop size inc and loop size dec.
    So thats 12 buttons in total for each deck. The only thing on the market with that amount of buttons is the launchpad. But I have seen people using all sorts of controllers. How are people doing it with such few buttons? All the pad controllers out there have 16 pads. I've seen people using things like the trigger finger to control 4 decks.
    Can anyone share some secrets?

Thanks

Banned

With how cheap I can get the Nano Kontrols for I just have one for each deck, plus a master one. So for a little over 200 bucks I have all the controls I need vs controls that cost three times that much and you oly get enough to handle two decks on those.

Plus I just added some Akai LPD8's just for the EFX units as they were built specifically with those in mind if you ask me

= p

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I use a VCI-100 FW1.3 and Bomes. I have a pretty perfect 4 deck control set up for my needs.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I use a VCI-100 FW1.3 and Bomes. I have a pretty perfect 4 deck control set up for my needs.
    how do you use bomes?! thinking of gettin' into it a little bit..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Banned

I just hate having a "shift" button if you will, but if it's working out for you all the better!

Tech Mentor

I use 3 Eks xp 10s for 3 decks, it set me back about 300 euros and they also came with a reasonable soundcard (well actually I preferred the audiofire I had before) and I like their layout. The buttons are definitely not appropriate for cue point juggling but once you get used to them their actually quite precise. Jogwheels are sort of big and very nice andhave a touch sensitive platter which gives you a lot of mapping possibilities with few mods.

Currently I mapped them to all transport functions (cue, sync, play, loops, loops and beatjumps etc.) browsing and filters, a quick fx access like Ean implemented on the new VCI tsi is a future project.

combine them with a NanoKontrol for fx and a Nanopad for Cuepoints and you should be sorted.
    Last edited by derjay; 01-18-2010 at 04:24 PM.

control 4 decks on my vci 100, brought in a nano pad to use c and d in differents ways, so i have 2 things for 2 different combinations of 4 decks - check the link in my sig

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I use Bomes through rules and presets (about 90 presets in total) to jump around decks using toggle buttons. the left deck controls a/c, right deck controls b/d. I also use my MIDIFighter in conjunction for cue jumping, beat jumping, loop control and I'm digging into clock control too, and visual feedback of my deck tempo

It took a while but it's a pretty solid setup.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Banned

Visual feedback of the tempo? Do explain

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I use Bomes through rules and presets (about 90 presets in total) to jump around decks using toggle buttons. the left deck controls a/c, right deck controls b/d. I also use my MIDIFighter in conjunction for cue jumping, beat jumping, loop control and I'm digging into clock control too, and visual feedback of my deck tempo

It took a while but it's a pretty solid setup.
    i had hoped to convince Ean to adopt Bome for his 3.0 mapping. i am willing to put in some time to make this happen on my own, but only if there are other people helping out and more importantly using the end result. any interest in collaborating or are you pretty much set and done with your layout?
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast