Hi-Where to start>? VCI-100, MPD32, & Traktor 3

Default Hi-Where to start>? VCI-100, MPD32, & Traktor 3

Hey all,

So I FINALLY got a working log on name (long story), but I wanted to introduce myself and ask a question or two. I go by DjDevillin, DjDev, and now Villinus. I am just getting started in DJ'ing, but have long been into production in professional studios, so I have a strong understanding of MIDI & controllerism (I make beats live on stage, but still don't consider that DJ'ing).

I have a brand new VCi-100, an MPD32, a Novation X-Station, and Traktor 3 on a Powerbook.

Ultimately I'd like to be able to use the VCi and the MPD to control various aspects of Traktor, using the plates, pads, encoders, faders, etc...

I'd like to be able to DJ for clubs (think Top 40) as well as do mashups of my own music. Where's a good place to start? I started playing with instrumentals and acapellas together, of different/same songs, which was a blast... I still dont know how to get it all perfectly timed, but it was fun!

Thanks in advance to any help

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You seem to have a good starting point. Just keep practicing and watching videos, really. If you understand MIDI, controllerism and the like then all I can say is to keep fighting the good fight.

Also, look into meshing Traktor with Ableton. That could give you TONS of new options on mashups and live remixes.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    You seem to have a good starting point. Just keep practicing and watching videos, really. If you understand MIDI, controllerism and the like then all I can say is to keep fighting the good fight.

Also, look into meshing Traktor with Ableton. That could give you TONS of new options on mashups and live remixes.
    That's an awesome idea, would Traktor rewire into Ableton? or vice versa? Could I then have audio loops in Ableton in sync with tracks in Traktor, with effects routing and samples set up on my MPD pads?

...I think that was a rhetorical question

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Bento has figured out a way to wire Traktor into Ableton. Needs to be done with virtual audio cables. Should be in the FAQ.

That should give you a starting ground
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

if you alredy know MIDI e understand something about computers you should be able to follow DVLS advice, otherwise if your realise that something in traktor becomes hard you could think about some technical reading.
    I recommend the Traktor Bible: http://www.traktorbible.com/en/traktorbible.aspx
    I got a copy at home and its pretty awesome for starting out and become advanced at Traktor! Plus you get all future updates and tutorials of the book in .pdf version