My first midi project?

Default My first midi project?

Just thinking about making my own custom midi controler. And was jus wondering a couple of things.

-is it possible to ataxh arcade buttons to a qwerty keyboard???

-I'll be modefying a type of numerical pad for pcs u know one of those keyboards that only have about 10 keys and I'm just wondering could I use 2 layers. I.e assign each key on the keypad as if only using it for one deck then say set the number lock key as a kind of hold and wen it's on your in control of deck b??

I know this is very simple compare to some of yer projects but I gots to start sumwhere

Using tsp by the way

This is possible their will be a tiny circuit board inside the divice you will need to solder the buttons in a a very specific order to mimic its current layout (you will see what i mean when you open it). THis will then allow you to map two layers as you suggest.

A word of caution though due to the way they are constructed keyboards and keypads anly allow 2 - 3 simultanious button presses (as Dodge just found out in a recent thread) which may well scupper your plans.

I strongy suggest looking into an arduino it is surprisingly easy (probably about the same as working out the wiring for your keyboard) and you will be able to have your 10 keys and 6 faders or pots.

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post
    constructed keyboards and keypads anly allow 2 - 3 simultanious button presses
    You could in theory get a keyboard with n-key rollover, but these cost slightly more

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post
    I strongy suggest looking into an arduino
    +1, if you're going to tear something apart and rework it, it might just be easier to start with a kit from scratch (plus there are instructions and tutorials available for various Arduinome projects out there)
    MacBook, Vestax VCI-300 with Serato Itch
    www.djlantau.com | www.youtube.com/djlantau | www.soundcloud.com/djlantau

If you go the arduino route I should be of some help i have made several midi controlers, foot swictces, and instruments using them. Ill atleast be able to point you in the right direction for further reading.