Modding an MPD32

Default Modding an MPD32

Hey all,

I'd like to mod my MPD32 to be a bit more club friendly... Rather than buy the glow-in-the-dark pads, I want to get the clear pads and throw LED's underthem somewhere. Anyone have any ideas where a good place tap into a controller like this would be for LEDs?

Are there issues with consuming more power from the USB?

http://www.mpcstuff.com/akai-mpc-pad...nsparent-.html <---transparent pads from MPCparts.com

http://www.akaipro.com/mpd32

*Edit* Just found these:

http://www.oznium.com/led-ribbon

Anyone know how I could get these to power inside my MPD? The unit is 9v and the LED strips are 12v. If I remember correctly, LEDs can be fairly safely underpowered, just not over powered?
    Last edited by Villinus; 01-21-2010 at 07:42 PM.

If your using those led ribbon strips it should be as easy as cut to length and attatch directly to the ground and 12v of the USB connector (they look pretty usefull reasonably priced too for their ease of installation).

As you point out you may need a powered usb hub to cope with the extra draw but the MPD32 has mostly passive components so you may get away without it.

Quote Originally Posted by CerebralExcretion View Post
    If your using those led ribbon strips it should be as easy as cut to length and attatch directly to the ground and 12v of the USB connector (they look pretty usefull reasonably priced too for their ease of installation).

As you point out you may need a powered usb hub to cope with the extra draw but the MPD32 has mostly passive components so you may get away without it.
    Awesome, that's exactly what I was thinking... I just wanted to get some affirmation on it before I open 'er up. I actually have the Power Adapter for it, I'm thinking I'll try attaching it to the USB and seeing if it draws too much power, or if it's fine. I can always plug it into the wall if it starts to dim the rest of the controller.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes, I wanna be the first one with backlit MPD pads! (or MPC for that matter, if this works, it's going in my 2000XL as well )
    Last edited by Villinus; 01-22-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Just be careful, moding anything you attatch to a mains supply is a dodgy business make sure you dont touch any bare live wires or create any shorts, you could easily fry your MPD or worse!