Super sad day!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super sad day!

Default Super sad day!

After I did some mixing I decided to call it a night. I went to bed like normal and woke up liek normal. However, when I went into my studio the next day I noticed that I accidentally took my headphones off and sat them next to my MidiFighter. Neglectfully, I didn't notice that my headphones were leaning on a button (1st button of the last row). My guess is that this button was being pressed all day. I took the headphones off and noticed that none of the LEDs except the very first one (nearest USB plug) worked. In fact, the first LED was always on, while none of the others worked. I tried resetting the device, but it doesn't show the normal marquee of lights to show a proper startup. The first LED just turns on and it stays that way.

I am a Sad Panda.

Can anyone out there help me?

EDIT: I tried the device with Traktor and it doesn't seem to respond.
    Last edited by Req; 01-25-2010 at 02:41 AM.
    MIDI/Effects : Korg KP3 + MIDI-Fighter + SF4 Fight Stick
    Mixer: Behringer DXJ-700
    Card : Stanton ScratchAMP
    Software : Traktor Pro

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

This is odd, there should be no issue with leaving buttons depressed for long periods of time.

The fact that the first led is the only one that comes on is odder still, this is normally a symptom that it has not yet connected to a PC but has been powered, but it should still display the startup pattern before switching the the 1st led only mode'

Any other factors you might have missed here?

thanks for any help given, first of all.
    there isn't any other information, to be honest. I leave it connected to my PC (if that matters, but I'm guessing not since it worked just fine prior going to bed)I was using it and it worked like magic for a couple hours. I went to bed, came up the next morning noticed there was a light on (bottom right) took my headphones off the button, and this is all I see:

I've tried :
    resetting
    resetting holding the reset button
    restarting computer
    searching computer for hardware to disable then enable (it's not recognized upon connect)
    Telling Traktor to stop using the device (it doesn't show up as a device)
    using a different slot
    using a different computer
    Replacing the respective button
    Connecting without the respective button

that's about as far as my troubleshooting knowledge goes for a device like this. I'm sad to admit it, but this could be a on-board hardware issue. Getting the same result on another machine isolates the problem to MF.
    Getting same result with a different button in place cuts a button malfunction out of the list. And the fact that it worked previously eliminates the notion of improper building.

Am I missing something?

Ironically enough, I think I was the first person to receive and post AND break and post.
    lol.

Send a message to djtechtools service they helped me!
    Sadly they had to send me a new logic board.
    macbook/2 Stanton STR.150 /Axiom 25/AKAI MPD 25/Vestax vci-100/Serato sl3/Ableton live 8 suite/ krk monitor/Ecler Nuo 2.0/Akai mpd24/midiFighter /Audio 4/2 Pioneer cdj 800mk2/

When the Midifighter boots up it has to go through it's USB connection process before it will accept any key presses. LEDs 1, 2 and 3 on the top row are used to indicate the progress:

LED 1 = Unconnected
    LED 2 = Connecting
    LED 3 = Ready to use

It looks like your machine is stuck in the "unconnected" stage (assuming pressing keys produces no lights). Some questions:
    1. When you restart the machine, does it go through it's light show (turning on all lights one by one)?
    2. After the light show it does the USB connection. Does LED2 flicker at all? Even briefly?
    3. If you hold down the top-left key while resetting the Midifighter (plugging in the USB cable), does it drop into Menu Mode?
    4. If you hold down all four corner keys while plugging in the USB cable, does it show a checkerboard pattern of LEDs? (That's firmware update mode).

If the answer to these questions is "yes", I would check your host computer. It sounds like the Midifighter is trying to connect and the host is failing to load the correct USB-Audio Class driver. One thing that may fix things is to flash the Midifighter with a new ROM as I have done some work on the USB connection code. Well, I made the connection LEDs more visible and made sure nothing else happens before the connection is solid.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 01-27-2010 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    When the Midifighter boots up it has to go through it's USB connection process before it will accept any key presses. LEDs 1, 2 and 3 on the top row are used to indicate the progress:

LED 1 = Unconnected
    LED 2 = Connecting
    LED 3 = Ready to use
    not to derail the thread...but i have a question...just out of curiosity

When i turn on my laptop and the MF goes thru this process, the LEDs seem dimmer than normal...even, the light show part seems to activate the LEDs at the normal 'bright' level. Is this my imagination, or does the connection display just happen so fast they seem dimmer?

Or put another way...do the LEDs actually have the capability to light at a lower brightness? or amicrazy?
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey7k View Post
    Is this my imagination, or does the connection display just happen so fast they seem dimmer?
    You're right. The reason for this is that in the loop during USB setup the LEDs get set to show the USB state, followed immediately by being set to the key state. So in effect they get turned on for a fraction of a second rather than staying on until the USB state changes.

This is one of the things I fixed in the latest firmware - no key states are sent to the LEDs until the USB connection is functional.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

@kelsey,

I think what you are seing is just because they are only being turned on for a very short period.

The first design I had on the midifighter did actuall have 8 bit control over the brightness of each led but there was a shortage of that part when we went to manufacture so I had to leave it out.

@Req

Thanks for the response, as Limey sugested can you try holding the four corner buttons down while plugging in the USB?

@ Fats
    I attempted the holding reset before with the same results. I tried the hold all four buttons and I get the same issue. As far as the issue being the PC, I figured that connecting the MF to multiple PC's (all of which have working USB ports) I managed to upload a small video demonstrating the effect that I get.

MF #23

I'm familiar with the trademark lightshow (which is awesome, btw), however when the MF is connected it doesn't get that far. If you notice in the clip when connected there is a VERY SHORT flicker of all LEDs on the unit. That's about all there is to it.

@ De Stilj
    got an email for support?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast