Macbook vs. Macbook Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Macbook vs. Macbook Pro

Hello Im deciding between getting a :

-13" Macbook 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM & 500GB Hardrive ($1,125)

-13" Macbook Pro 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM & 500GB Hardrive ($1,370)

-13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM & 500GB Hardrive ($1,535)

Which one do you think I should get? And if you know where I can get it cheaper I'd appreciate it

Tech Guru

Get the Pro, even an entry level one is fine, but if you are doing music work, the firewire port is nice amongst other things since they are limited on USB.

Also, you can get a refurb MacBook Pro 13" for $1096 on the Apple website

Tech Mentor

go pro for the firewire port. get the version with the smaller amount of ram and then add some more yourself afterwards, it's cheaper that way.

i would go with the mbp 2.26 lowest price.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I don't have a Macbook myself but from what I've seen the build quality on MBPs is a lot better than on the regular ones. Especially the keyboard and touchpad tend to look used on MBs quickly.

Tech Guru

i also agree on getting the pro for firewire. also ram is cheaper from other sources than apple. furthermore .. consider swapping the main HD for an SSD, or replacing the DVD for an SSD (you can get the DVD in an external case for the rare situations where you do need DVD).
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

It's cheaper to get the lowest one and then upgrade as needed. That being said, it's easier to drop a bunch of money on one that is set up the way you want.

Keep in mind the size of the screen, make sure it's something that you would be able to function on. After that, making sure the CPU speed is up to date (any new one will be). And then RAM, literally as much as you can cram in there.

I believe DJTT put up an article about the benefits/costs of an SSD drive, and I'd really suggest that as well. Then you don't ever have to worry about it failing.

I know with Windows 7 some of the SSD drives no longer have a "slowing down" issue either, but I'm not sure with the Macs.

Tech Guru

whats the difference between a 256GB SSD and a 500GB Hardrive? wouldnt the 500GB hardive be better considering it has more memory

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    whats the difference between a 256GB SSD and a 500GB Hardrive? wouldnt the 500GB hardive be better considering it has more memory

Yes, the 500GB HDD has twice the memory but solid state disks (SSD) are way less sensitive to vibrations and impacts. Something you might want to consider when using your laptop to play in loud and messy clubs

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
    ... or replacing the DVD for an SSD

Is that possible?

Do you have any link on that?

It sounds interesting. I barely use the dvd player. The last time it was when I installed Snow Leopard a few months back...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast