MPD26 vs MPD32 vs padKontrol - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Guru

In theory ya, but honestly I would rather do more mixing and playing then mapping for hours on end haha
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Van Draken View Post
    I found a used MPD24 for $95 and a used padKontrol for $120 (both in good condition).. so the MPD26 is pretty much out of the question for me. I'm really leaning towards the MPD24. Is there any reason I shouldn't purchase the MPD24?
    I own one and I have only 2 issues with it. Unfortunately both the issues are quite important.

The pads are not as responsive as I'd like. There is an easy mod you can do to fix it, but I don't like taking professional products apart.

The other problem I have is with the "endless" encoders. Yes they do spin forever, however they don't give out a +1, +1, +1 as you turn them. They go up to the maximum value of 127 and then no matter how much you turn them they stay on this value. Not too useful if you want to use them to search through tracks as I did.

I now want to build my own controller so I don't have to use my MPD24 any more.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Van Draken View Post
    Looks like the MPD26 removed two knobs and placed a "tap tempo", "swing", and "note repeat" button. So if you want to make drumrolls and such in a program that supports note repeats, this one will support it.

I've read complaints of the padKontrol accidently triggering multiple pads when you only press one pad. On the other hand, I've heard the MPD24 requires a harder button push.
    I have the MPD32 and love it to death. I personally would shell out the extra dough for the extra controls. The faders are nice for filter sweeps, delays, etc... but more importantly:

The buttons UNDER the faders can be used as triggers/pads. I have "DJ EFX" routed to mine, airhorns, 'aw yeah!'s, etc. They can also be programmed as ON/OFF or momentary switches, which changes the LED's feedback as well. This is really cool because then the LED's light up as you press them. I have one setup as a "OH SHIT" panic button that's ON/OFF toggle, so when the LED is lit, I know sound will pass, when it's not, sound is mute.

As far as the padkontrol triggering other pads by accident, the MPD32 does this as well, which I hate, especially when it happens in a show, but it hasn't made me not want to use it. Besides, that's what the panic button is for.

The pads are not as responsive as I'd like. There is an easy mod you can do to fix it, but I don't like taking professional products apart.
    People always say this but I've never had a problem with it. You can line 3-4 pieces of electrical tape on the underside of each pad to make it "more responsive", but I think in actuality, there's more of an issue with the latency in your computer VS an MPC, rather than the responsiveness of the pads.
    Last edited by Villinus; 03-01-2010 at 01:49 PM.

Mudo

I prefer the padkontrol vs mpds because the pads are different response. A matter of choice. Try yourself and decide which.

Tech Convert

I have a padKontrol, only the 16 pads + the two potentiomenter knobs + the X-Y section is MIDI mappable.
    So you can't use the rotary knob for a browser method and can't use the other 19 buttons or program the LED's from Traktor or anything.

The Akai's have more MIDI mappable buttons and knobs so they are more versitile but their pads are not illuminated which is shame. I am using the padKontrol because I set the pads to CC# mode and have them illuminated all the time so I can see them in dark venues.

Tech Guru

WHy not go with something like an lpd8? youd be able to do cue points and samples

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12