Question about Ean's DJ pool topic (MP3's)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Question about Ean's DJ pool topic (MP3's)

This has really thrown me, Ean said, and I quote,
    "This is in part due to the fact that the majority of the collection is stored in 192 kbps (”near CD quality”) as opposed to the standard 320 kbps mp3s."
    Is that correct? I thought 320 would be a better quality than 192. And are 192's near CD quality?

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    This has really thrown me, Ean said, and I quote,
    "This is in part due to the fact that the majority of the collection is stored in 192 kbps (”near CD quality”) as opposed to the standard 320 kbps mp3s."
    Is that correct? I thought 320 would be a better quality than 192. And are 192's near CD quality?
    yes and no. i think CDs are somewhat 192s in one angle of view, but actually they have higher sample rate (or something like that) so its different beast altogether... i think mighty wikipedia will give you the details anyway.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Mentor

wav > mp3 320 > mp3 192

cd quality is 16 bit, 44.1 khz, with studio quality going all the way up to 32 bit 192 khz to avoid nyquist wrapover

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    wav > mp3 320 > mp3 192

cd quality is 16 bit, 44.1 khz, with studio quality going all the way up to 32 bit 192 khz to avoid nyquist wrapover
    I know about CD quality and all that stuff. I just always assumed that the lower the bit rate on MP3's, the lower quality.
    What do you mean by "wav > mp3 320 > mp3 192", are you saying that's the order of quality? If so then Im lost, is 192 near CD quality or not?
    I can't wait for the day when the internet is so fast, and ipods are so big that size and compression isn't an issue, and everything is kept in WAV.
    Last edited by dodge; 01-27-2010 at 10:39 AM.

A .wav file can be seen as the highest quality audio. There are various bit and sampling rates but they are considered to be 'lossless' compared to cd's. Put differently: wav quality = cd quality.
    When converting wav or cd to mp3, several factors play a role but the most important is the bit rate (e.g. 320, 192 or 128 megabits per second). This value shows how many bits are used to describe the wave-form every second. The higher, the better obviously. Wav files use about 700-800 mbps so mp3 is less than half of that.
    Most people don't hear the difference between high quality mp3 (320, 256mbps vbr). Some can differentiate between wav and 192.
    I think a good option would be v0 lame encoding but AFAIK no online store uses this..
    Good luck I hope you understood this all.

edit: actually I think you misunderstood his comment because he said:
    the fact that the majority of the collection is stored in 192 kbps (”near CD quality”) as opposed to the standard 320 kbps mp3s.
    He means the website says it is near CD quality. Ean has his doubts about this comment because he mentions:
    CONS

* Most of the collection is 192 bitrate
    Last edited by sj03w4t; 01-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Tech Guru

I understood everything apart from Eans quote.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

He's saying that a 192 kb/s mp3 is of lower quality (near CD quality) than a 320kb/s mp3 (standard quality for DJing on mp3).
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

For the record DJfreshstep wrote the article

Also 320kbps mp3's are closer (but still not equal) to cd quality than 192kbps mp3's are

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    He's saying that a 192 kb/s mp3 is of lower quality (near CD quality) than a 320kb/s mp3 (standard quality for DJing on mp3).
    How can 192 be of lower quality than 320 yet be near CD quality, when CD is better quality than 320?
    WTF? Am I missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    How can 192 be of lower quality than 320 yet be near CD quality, when CD is better quality than 320?
    WTF? Am I missing something here?
    The article is misleading and needs to be edited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast