How many of you can read music?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How many of you can read music?

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys can read music? The only reason I can is because I used to play guitar and pushed myself to learn it.

Additionally, do you guys know anything about music theory.... key signatures, scales, chord structures, etc?

I'm no pro at it all, so this isn't meant to rub my ego. Just curious.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

i played for almost 18 years the sax, in which i had 13 years of lesson with a teacher. started with 7 on an alto. i was like in every band in my school and am jamming mondays in my local jazz club.. but i'm not practicing very much, cause the vci is more fun now
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    i played for almost 18 years the sax, in which i had 13 years of lesson with a teacher. started with 7 on an alto. i was like in every band in my school and am jamming mondays in my local jazz club.. but i'm not practicing very much, cause the vci is more fun now
    Nearly exactly the same as weltraumpapst but starting with the Tenor sax and only 14 years playing. Don't play anymore, but still read music and remember most of the theory.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Guru

Played piano for 7 years. Also played percussion in the school band for 5 years(I know I was a band geek)

I found it has helped me alot, from basic theory and just having a musical instinct at a young age.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Tech Wizard

Never played an instrument (well, I tried the guitar for some weeks but lost interest quickly). I'm teaching myself theory as I go.

Tech Guru

i can read it .. but not fluently .. like all the funky syntax means that i need to spend quite a bit of time parsing ..
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

been playing forever, was in band in middle/high, but just learned music theory in depth recently. definitely helps a lot.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I played piano for 10 years. I can still read music...but it takes me a little while.

Tech Guru

I was also a band geek, and play multiple instruments. The only ones I'm comfortable reading while playing with are flute, guitar, piano. Honestly, I'm more of a play by ear kind of person, and its a lot easier for me to hear something once and play it back without the music in front of me, than to read it and then play whats on the page before hearing it. I'm not huge on the music theory, but I know my scales pretty well (mostly through muscle memory), and I use the circle of 5th/Camelot wheel sometimes while mixing or learning a song.

Tech Mentor

i am total unmusical.. never played an instrument and hated music lessons in school!

i know how to create the music i want to create however and it works like a charm. : )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast