Software to Create Music & Mix it

Default Software to Create Music & Mix it

I'd like to use software to create my own instrumental tracks.. then mix different instrumental tracks together and layer acapellas on top. I'd like to use software and controllers as much as possible to save space and maximize capabilities. I'd like your thoughts on my plan to accomplish this.

I plan to use a Stanton SCS3 mixer, two SCS3 'DaScratch' controllers, and an Akai MPD24 pad controller. I also have numerous PS3 game controllers with USB Midi Input (drums, guitar, etc.) - it sounds funny, but you can use them to send a lot of controlled, quick signals to the computer. I primarily intend on using the professional gear though.

Currently, I just use cues and loops in Traktor to make my own beats & sounds.. but it's fairly tedious for creating a full instrumental. I'd like to use Ableton (unless someone can convince me that Reason is much better) to create the tracks from 'scratch'.

My biggest question is this: Should I continue using Traktor pro in combination with Ableton to create finished tracks? Traktor provides the on-the-fly real-time mixing, as well as vinyl emulation, that I want.

The other option for mixing is Deckadance. I like it about as much as Traktor. The largest benefits is that it acts like a VST plug-in, so you can use it with Ableton Live. Does anyone have experience with this? The other nice thing is that it has an official sampler, although it only records pre-determined loop sizes from currently loaded decks.

Deckadance's scratching does not sound nearly as good as Traktor's, if you ask me. Any thoughts on this process would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Van Draken View Post
    The other option for mixing is Deckadance. I like it about as much as Traktor. The largest benefits is that it acts like a VST plug-in, so you can use it with Ableton Live. Does anyone have experience with this? The other nice thing is that it has an official sampler, although it only records pre-determined loop sizes from currently loaded decks.
    I have used DD house edition in ableton 7, had a nice little setup where i used bentosan's smartmixer liveset with DD as VST routed so i could use the smartmixer on the decks. it is a pretty nice setup, the best of the dj type software with traditional two decks and playlist etc with all the fun things you can do in ableton.

i believe you could try the demo of DD in the demo of ableton to see how you liked it, beware that some effects loops in ableton will go out of sync with what's playing in DD...its just a limit of the design from what i can tell.

why am i not using it now? made a setup with sensomusic Usine as the host and deckadance as the daw with smartmixer setup worked great with my tabletPC and usine touchscreen abilities.

not using that anymore either, although i was thinking about starting it again with my newer more powerful laptop.

for your goal, I think if you have traktor already, try that routed through ableton.

but the more you can do in a single program the better IMO for live use. K.I.S.S.

good luck

try as many demos and as many ways to route your current software free before spending dough...

Thanks Charo for the tips! I will try DD as a plug-in with Ableton before making my final decision. If only DD and Traktor could combine forces...

Edit & Update: Well, I spent more time with Deckadance and Traktor Pro last night. Deckadance just doesn't give me the same level of control and flexibility that Traktor does. I've concluded that it would be better compared to Virtual DJ.
    It is possible to route the output of Traktor into Ableton for final touches, so I will stick with that solution. Traktor had better keep it up because Deckadance, Virtual DJ, and Mixxx 1.8 are catching up. But it'll be a few more years I think. Now if Serato would just release a universal software to compete with Traktor.
    Last edited by DJ Van Draken; 01-29-2010 at 08:13 AM.