Anyone know anything about live sound?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone know anything about live sound?

I just picked up a pair of Peavey SP 5G's for a great price used, but I need a power amp for them, I have no idea as to what I need to look for in the amp specs.... Can anybody help me out with this? I'm a bit strapped for cash, I was hoping I could get an amp for these @ $300 max? Preferably lower....

Specs of the speakers -

15'' Woofer
    1/4 Inputs
    Max Power Handling= 250W continuous, 500W Program, 1,000W Peak

P.S. - What the hell do continuous and program mean?

P.S.S - Some Ideas?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Crown-XL...38-i1145681.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mackie-F...67-i1166262.gc
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Tech Guru

I know Samson aint bad, seen em on a few set ups

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much money I have to spend and what caliber of amp I need...

I'm a sound tech! Have you got a mixer, or were you looking to plug your DJ rig directly into the amp? Something like this may be closer to what you need, with some processing and eq built in. With a few more details I can help you more, so feel free to PM me and we can figure out exactly what you need.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringe...90-i1448435.gc

Awesome! thank you! PM sent!

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

just make sure the amp you want will supply enough wattage to power both speakers, also don't over spend on more wattage than you need... (it usually labels the wattage on the back of each speaker)

Tech Guru

hey guys, I dont really want to hijack this thread, but I also dont want to make another. I'm planning on building some tuba 30's. I've got some random tops loaded with 12" eminence drivers and a tweeter (think those draw 200 watts each). I pretty much found them in a dumpster, but they work fine when hooked up to my fender passport (the Pa I use when I'm playing live shows with guitar/voice in coffeeshops and the like). I'm looking for an amp to drive 2 tuba 30's and those 2 tops (which may end up being replaced, if they are underpowered).

Whats the deal with this?
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vestax-V...13-i1513966.gc

For someone who dj's using a laptop, it looks like a damn good price. i assume I'll be able to at least power the tuba's, and maybe the tops, if I keep the output kinda low?

If your tubas handle the same wattage as your tops you may be able to get away with something like this, but if your subs are underpowered or not receiving the right frequencies, they won't sound right. I'd have to suggest getting separate amps for tops and subs with a crossover to really make those tubas hit the way they should.

Tech Guru

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats what I'm going to end up doing. But still 200 isnt a bad price for an amp.... I might end up picking up two of these.

Overall, I'm a bit of a speaker and amp noob though. I've been building guitars and violins for a couple years now, so I dont think the carpentry will be too much of an issue (different league I know) with the tuba's, and I'm really looking for something on the cheap.
    Last edited by sine143; 01-31-2010 at 03:54 PM.

It is an interesting looking amp. If you end up with these let me know how they work out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast