That one sweaty drunk guy who has to shake your hand on every track
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default That one sweaty drunk guy who has to shake your hand on every track

OK MATE I CAN SEE YOU'RE HAVIN A GOOD TIME AND YOU'RE LOVING THE MUSIC, BUT PLEASE LET ME JUST DO MY JOB!!

I just don't have the heart to say that to anyone's face, so gotta say it in a forum. How does anyone handle these kinda peeps? You know the kind... the ones that are out of it and feel they need share their knowledge of music with you because you are playing shit they like. I mean, you gotta love the appreciation but when they come up and chat nonsense and wanna shake your hand after every track you drop it gets a bit tedious. All I can do is smile give them a thumbs up.

"er.. sorry man. i'm really a bit too busy to talk properly right now. i'll be done my set in x hours/mins. get a pint in then and we'll have a chat"

and everyone is happy

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    "er.. sorry man. i'm really a bit too busy to talk properly right now. i'll be done my set in x hours/mins. get a pint in then and we'll have a chat"
    Worth a try, but most of the time the sweaty guy is too drunk to remember what you just told him for more than five seconds.

Sometimes what helps is progressively ignore him. React less and less to every time he turns up, try to look very busy. But stay polite.

Is he alone? Are his buddies, or even better, is his girlfriend around and less drunk? Look over to them, sometimes that helped me, too.

Once in a while nothing helps.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Ugh, the worst is when they just stand there, watch what you're doing and ask you questions... and then say "Oh man, that was sick, what song is this?" over and over and over and over again.

But that's why I work for a giant big scary bodybuilder. Cause he just looks at them and they run.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Dive in for a french kiss w/ ass grab.
    Usually resolves the situation one way or another.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

well, sometimes guys that are interested in djing or ableton will talk to me. i was once in their position so i try to be as nice as possible. and if its a cute girl, she might even get to launch a few clips

Quote Originally Posted by munizj View Post
    well, sometimes guys that are interested in djing or ableton will talk to me. i was once in their position so i try to be as nice as possible. and if its a cute girl, she might even get to launch a few clips

I had a guy come up to me last week, loving the music and interested in traktor (it blew his mind lol)

That cute girl that gets to cue/drop tracks is now my girlfriend
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

After the second visit I'll slap on my headphones and stare intently at my laptop until he leaves. Cute girls get to crossfade.

nobody touches my knobs but me... wat that didn't sound right...
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

First time I smile and shake hands. Afterwards I just ignore them. I'm too busy.

The same happens with the "let me take a picture with you" guy, and also the "let me get into the booth", or the "let me put a track", or the "I want to tell you about my life", or even the "do you know that track from last year that goes..." and start making cacophonies in the midst of the already noisy club.

With the "let me put my drink over here" I really become a mad dog and bite them until they put their drink somewhere else, far away from my rig. If they are obviously drunk I directly put their drink somewhere else and keep doing my stuff. If they start asking where the drink is I follow the same procedure as before: I ignore them.

People are really unconscious about what a dj is doing...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast