How did you start with ableton?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default How did you start with ableton?

How did you start with ableton? and learn everything?

I started after I saw Bassnectar rock out on a trigger finger.

I have used everything from youtube to abletonlivedj.com to learn.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

same. i learned a lot from youtube, s4racen, ableton forums. look up tom cosm!

I started out producing with ableton back in 2005 after originally using Reason... I read tutorials and watched a few videos. I then actually did a few live shows opening for Rabbit In the Moon in 2007... other than tose shows I did back then I don't really do any shows with Ableton, but it is my first program i use for production, then I use Logic.

Mess around with the clip view; creating, cueing, playing, mixing clips. Then decide what you want to concentrate on. If you're more into live performance get deeper into clip functions. Otherwise, if you prefer music productions I recommend stepping into the arrangement process.
    In case you have already got some experience with a DAW, Ableton should work pretty straight-forward for you. It's quite intuitive and most steps just work the way you'd expect them to.

Also, yeah... in general look for online tutorial videos.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    I started out producing with ableton back in 2005 after originally using Reason... I read tutorials and watched a few videos. I then actually did a few live shows opening for Rabbit In the Moon in 2007... other than tose shows I did back then I don't really do any shows with Ableton, but it is my first program i use for production, then I use Logic.
    Where exactly did you open up for rabbit in the moon? None in salt lake city by chance? Cause they have played here every halloween the past few years. Its always a banger
    Last edited by Fable801; 02-02-2010 at 12:58 AM. Reason: I has no sp3lling skills

Tech Guru

i messed around a bit here and there .. since xmas i am doing the abletoncourse.com programm and its helping me find a lot of small features and workflows.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

I am suprised no one has mentioned the Manual
    The Ableton manual is pretty in depth and id definitely consider it must reading if you want to rock Ableton.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    I am suprised no one has mentioned the Manual
    The Ableton manual is pretty in depth and id definitely consider it must reading if you want to rock Ableton.
    Dude. Stop creeping me out. :eek:

My answer to the original question is: Slowly. Eventually brother showed how it works (without any prior experience). ALDJ forum has been a great resource.
    @Twumpy

Tech Wizard

i bought a UMX 25 from behringer. it came with a lite version of ableton 4. i actually bought it to be used with traktor. have used ableton ever since. slowly trying anything and everything i see other people do. not rushing anything tho but still have heaps still to learn. im still with live 7 lol dont kno if i should skip 8 n wait for 9?
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast