Going digital.... controller advice needed!
    Tech Wizard

Default Going digital.... controller advice needed!

Hi all, sorry its another n00b needing advice.....

Im new to the forum, and new to the whole idea of digital djing! I currently use two Denon Dns1000's, but I really want to go totally digital.

So do I go for the Hercules Steel and an external sound card, or save a bit of money and go for the Vestax spin? My top budget is £300, so the VCI 100 is unfortunatley out of my price range!

Ill be using the controller with Traktor, and mainly spinning DnB, dubstep, and a bit of trance, so scratchings not really an issue atm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Im totally new to all this.

Thanks

Tech Mentor

If I was you I'd look at getting a second hand vci & sound card off ebay... you could even wait abit longer (save more) as there are some interesting controllers coming out shortly! (American Audio VMS4)

I had a VCI 100 and if i had not picked up a Xone 4D it would be my personal controller of choice, I used it along side my mac and fastrack pro soundcard, it's a good starter set.

obviously with all the new controllers coming out, someone might be able to point you in a better direction

I mean you could use a Xone 1D or maybe the midi fighter from the guys here.

Tech Wizard

I've looked at the vci's on eBay and they're still out of my price range!

I think the midifighter is a cool device, but not as a first controller.
    If you already have a mixer (which I thought because you mention using denon s1000's) you could get a cheap controller like I did. I got m-audio keyrig 25. It has some nice knobs and I think its great for fx control and looping. The actual mixing, fading eq'ing etc. can be done with an external mixer (I have denon dn-x120)

Tech Wizard

I'd considered keeping my mixer but part of the move to digital is to conserve space as I don't have an area in the house where I can keep everything set up, so I'm kinda lookin for it all in the one unit ( except for the soundcard )

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Iv just recently received my VCI300 (first time ever even touching a VCI) & let me tell you it's worth the extra cash, Hercules RMX & Steal are SOLID pieces (just had a RMX+two Directdrive Stantons) but I say get a used VCI man, go pay both the steal ans VCI in a local music shop & feel them out.

OR

Keep the DNS1000's & get a used Hercules RMX then burn 2 timecode CD's, connect the DNS1000's to the RMX inputs and use them with the RMX (no extra soundcard needed the RMX works for CD/Turntable timecode input) so you've got what you're used to, plus have a controller for internal mixing, cuing, effects, etc.. (just keep in mined for trakor you need version 1.1 for timecode use without their audio4 or audio8)

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    I've looked at the vci's on eBay and they're still out of my price range!
    post a want tread for one in the buy/trade/sale section of the forum ((( just be request photos with a djtechtools sign, phone number, & all that before sending money! )))