VCI-100 Scratch DJ's: Settings, Tips, Etc?
    Tech Student

Default VCI-100 Scratch DJ's: Settings, Tips, Etc?

'm running on the latest version of Traktor with my VCI-100 firmware version 1.2. I was just wondering what settings other DJ's are using to scratch. Obviously the VCI-100 is not the ideal scratch controller out there but I love it for all of it's other features and like to mess around with a little scratching here and there.
    I was wondering what other users have found works best for them for their midi assignments and if there were any other tips or tricks they could share in the area. I currently use the following settings:

Scratch On: Deck A
    Mode: Hold
    Ch01.Note.A#2

Scratch:
    Deck A
    Note: Ch01.CC.016
    Mode: Relative
    Env.-Mode: 3Fh/41h
    Rotary Sensitivity 3%
    Rotary Acceleration: 0%

I have found this configuration to work well for long scratches and is the easiest to release on the beat for me. However I've noticed that the short quick scratches are a lot harder to execute as this setting doesn't translate into a lot of actual movement on the sound clip. Any thoughts?

Tech Student

Sorry I probably should have placed this in the MIDI mapping section now that I think about it. This is my first time to the forum.

how do you get to those settings?

Tech Guru

VCI-100 modified with Pro X Fade fader, cut in set to next to nothing.
    I think I have the jogs set to 3% Sensitivity, 6% Acceleration. I need to check though. The acceleration setting provides more variation in terms of pitch, and allows a faster return to a given point (less rotation required). Sounds amazing for a 7 bit jogwheel.
    Last edited by Zac Kyoti; 02-04-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Changed settings after checking file
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Tech Convert

yeah how do you get to those settings?

Tech Guru

Preferences->Controller Settings->Scratch
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

as i suck at the crossfader bit i use the gater effect

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Student

Thanks Zac. I really like your configuration. It sure does make the jog a lot more responsive to my movements. Now I just need to practice like crazy. Haha.
    For those asking about settings, in the newest version of Traktor go to the main preferences/settings menu and select Controller Manager. Then for Device select VCI-100 and find the Scratch setting in the assignment table.