(Recovered Post) Apple Macbook / Macbook Pro Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default (Recovered Post) Apple Macbook / Macbook Pro Advice

Here is another post i have managed to recover
    Real sorry about anyone else's posts that have gone, i don't think i will be able to recover anything more

JesC1200-
    I am giving up on my PC laptop. In the last week Traktor 3.3 & 3.4 took a crap on me (several times) for the 1st time in over a year! I have too many gigs lined up to be messing around with Traktor. My screen locks up but Traktor audio keeps on running and I dont want to be switching to cds while I reboot.

Sooo....I'm currently looking @ a Black Mac Book Intel Duo 2ghz 2gigs ram w/120 gb hd for 1100.00 (Used) or Macbook Pro 15" Duo 2ghz 2gigs ram w/120 gb for 1400.00 (used) thru Gainsaver.com. I plan to use my VCI-100 & M-Audio FireWire 410.

What do you guys think?

Any advice?

PS: Please guys I really dont want this to turn into a PC VS MAC
    (b/c I plan to still use my laptop for video mixing)

midian-
    2nd hand. I'd get the MBP for several reasons.

1. MBP have better screens then the MB and the extra screen space will be v useful at a gig. For traktor perhaps not so much as ableton.
    2. Backlit keyboard, this is useful in a club IMO.
    3. MBP look more awesome (ie Metal)
    4. More ports (... well one more FW) and port layout is way better (ie 1 USB on each side)
    5. MBP last longer (aesthetically) as the build is better then the MB (ie metal vs plastic)
    6. The lid closing mechanism is better on the MBP (minor as fuck i know)
    7. Lots of small little details that the MBP has over the MB (again minor as fuck)

If buying new get the Macbook, MBP are 2 expensive unless you use it for work like I do.

midifidler -
    Interesting you are having this problem, this is the exact problem I have had with 3.4. Even at my gig last weekend

You are doing something with the controls then the graphics freeze, you still have control and the sound keeps coming but traktor never recovers.

I just upgraded up to 3.4.1 last night and after 2 hrs of mixing had still not crashed so fingers crossed.

I have only had this porblem with 3.4 though..

JesC1200 -
    I did notice lastnight that with all the bass of the sound system my jog wheels were triggering the pitch bend up and down, i turned down the sensitivity but it was still doing the same thing. Plus it would go back and forth between track a & b and it would light up the top bar where the fx/loops/master are located.

BentoSan-
    This is an issue with the VCI-100, this is known to happen if the unit is exposed to too much bass - there is not incedibly much you can do about it except for turning the jog wheels off or shoving some paper or something under the jog so it doesn't vibrate around

JesC1200-
    Well Bento, I played tonight @ the same club with my x-session pro and traktor didnt freeze...so the verdict is...VCI + Bass = My screen locking up! This damn club has eight 18" bass bottoms! Next week im going to take my vci in a padded ata style case and re-install traktor 3.4.

But I still want to get a Mac Book Pro...

Ean if ur out there how do you work with ur vci @ clubs w/too much bass?

liam.h-
    New macbooks are going to be released in October, so don't buy one just yet! all the old stock will drop in price before November

jimmymac-
    October 14th is date being bound around for the revised macbooks

luigislaperig-
    where can i find this info lol anybody want to byu the old version lmao JK

DJELI TOUCH E.N.T-
    2all What You Guys Think About The Ns7?

Thanks Bento.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Thanks Bento.
    No problem, shame i couldn't save more

@ DJELI TOUCH E.N.T
    You can find the NS7 thread here -
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343

man...i wanted to put this pix up after dj ent posted his comment.

Ok so I played lastnight @ the club (awesome night!) Ill be putting the set list on myspace when I fire up the laptop.

I had no problems with traktor or the sucker locking up. I used a different usb cable and I put my vci in a padded ata style case. The second pix is of my backup in case I have to play with cds! Oh yeah I also bring my x-session just in case.

At the end of the night my friend sold his traktor scratch to me. Being that he only use SSL and didnt have a need for it. So I will be adding that to my rig to see how it works.

Also had the issue where Traktor would suddenly becomes unresponsive but the sound keeps playing. Did anyone ever find out what the real issue is behind that and if it's fixed in the newest version?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

That doesn't happen to me anymore.

I switched around all my USB cables, and I now close EVERYTHING when I'm spinning except for Traktor. It just doesn't happen anymore
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

I had the same problem and had to switch to cd's. I'm going with the macbook and upgrading to 4gb of RAM that will make sure it doesn't crash on me.

Part of not having Traktor crash on you is taking good care of your pc, sadly you have to know a bit about pc's to be able to optimize windows.
    As long as your not running stuff in the background, your registry isnt filled full of crap, you have disabled unused windows services and your file structures are all nicely intact Traktor runs fine and Traktor wont crash.
    Abuse your windows system and it will abuse you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast