Article suggestions
    Tech Wizard

Default Article suggestions

Post article suggestions here.

Mine: I've been meaning to ask Ean to do an article on sound volumes at gigs. In particular, what you should do in order not to damage yours and your clients' hearing.
    Also, at my last gig I was pretty close to a speaker and thus had to crank the headphone volume in Traktor all the way up, which was not pleasant. Still, I had troubles hearing what I was doing with the mix and listening to beatmatching on the speakers wasn't helping. So I'm wondering if there's something I should've done, other than do the shoulder maneuver where you press a headphone pad with your shoulder to your ear. Maybe I should do a new thread on this.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

What kind of headphones do you use? What kind of set up does the club have you in?

The set up I have to deal with is being on stage right behind the speakers, which doesn't work very well for mixing through the headphones. By the time the sound gets to me it's just too late. You gotta really be careful about that whole blasting the sound into your headphones cause, well, eventually you won't be able to hear anything.

I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones that have a really good set up. The right ear cup can turn up and rest on my temple so I can have an open ear without leaning. Also, they cut off the outside sound much better than my Stanton DJ-3000's ever did (and those things broke four times before I replaced them).

Good luck, and save those ears. The only parts of us that matter are our ears and our hands :-)

Tech Convert

Default Midi tutorial

Hey all,

I'm in the process of developing a Controllersim setup with Ableton and a Novation Remote SL 25 and I'd be interested in an in depth article on how to program the remote SL (preferably in ableton but I'm sure it's similar with any program) because I'm realizing that MIDI is alot more in depth than I had realized. Any thoughts?

DvlsAdvct: I take it you'd recommend returning a pair of DJ-3000's as soon as possible then? I got a pair a month ago, even after hearing some rumours. Seeing a crack in the plastic extentions, so figuring they're going critical soon....
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

kidfromkibbly: Um... my DJ 3000's broke a lot. Each ear cup broke and had to be rigged together with zip ties. Then that broke and I glued it together with gorilla glue and more zip ties. Then they broke altogether and were unfixable. This was over the course of, approximately, 4-6 months without heavy use (use at home and spinning live once every few weeks).

I bought the Sennheisers and they have a sturdy build. My only complaint is the cable isn't very long, but for small, on ear headphones, they cut sound out something fierce :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

I have a pair of Sony MDR v6
    The HD25s are a little pricy (I know they're great, I did my research already, but they look totally lame)
    I wonder...

THey are a little pricey, but they are sturdy, they sound beautiful and they have good features for headphones. Every pair of flashy headphones I've used have just blown up on me :-)

The MDR 6's look nice, though. A friend of mine picked those up right before I picked up the 3000's. Big thing: his still work
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

article suggestions:

more on soundcards

comparison of software to remix /compose with (for us noobs!)

Tech Guru

zcritter-
    I'm doing exactly the same thing right now. MIDI is definately pretty deep, my opinion is that you really need to figure out how YOU want to play - this will take time. No one can do this for you - But you should definately check out Moldovers approach to Controllerism Part 1&2 on youTube - awesome ideas for the remote 25. Especially with the remote 25. Look at Eans post about SuperKnobs for a bit of an idea on how to use MIDI on a bit more of a sophisticated level.

Should start up a thread here others with the Remote25 can post how they are using it. Will be good for ideas. Personally im using it somewhat like Moldover to trigger loops and samples but in my own fashion (and without the super modified controller).

PM me your msn or something n we can talk further , Remote 25 users unite ;D