DJ setup in clubs
    Tech Convert

Default DJ setup in clubs

im kinda worried on what to expect about being able to backpack my dj equipments and head to the club to make my own set and get rid of the cdj 1000 they have down there . i ordered a bunch of stuff to make my sets seem more alive and after having done all that i ddint even think of what the answer of the club owner might be or even if my gear even works with the rest of the stuff. ive ordered a hercules rmx , bcr 2000 which i will be using running live on my laptop but since ive never heard anyone having to take their own gear to a club i was hoping if someone here can shine a light and tell me that it might be possible to do so and if there need to be any extra stuff i need to get to make the transition easier. thanks

It should be all good as long as you let the club know in advance. I always check and have never been turned down to bring my own gear.
    Gear: Macbook Pro 13" , Traktor Scratch Pro, VCI-100 Arcade, PIONEER HDJ 2000, CDJ 400's, Audio 8, Midifighter

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I take my gear wherever I go. All you need is enough space and a pair of stereo ins on the mixer. SHouldn't be too much.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

yeah i'm the same always take my own lappy, audio 8 and VCI 100 and make room for it, lol usually by moving the CDJ's out the way :P

k

have you got this gig already? becuase you're gonna need a fair bit of space to set all that up, and if you're the 'marginal' dj for the night, the main guy (who's likely to use CDJs) might think it's a bit of a nuisance for you to be changing over all of that gear..

Personally, if i'm doing a very 'foot in the door' gig, i think carefully about going all out with my gear, as it can piss one or two people off.. all depends though really!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by belchman View Post
    have you got this gig already? becuase you're gonna need a fair bit of space to set all that up, and if you're the 'marginal' dj for the night, the main guy (who's likely to use CDJs) might think it's a bit of a nuisance for you to be changing over all of that gear..

Personally, if i'm doing a very 'foot in the door' gig, i think carefully about going all out with my gear, as it can piss one or two people off.. all depends though really!
    im gonna be playing there once a week as a resident dj so there wont be any problems with having another dj waiting up on me, eye balling my every little gesture and watching how i mix (been there and it distrubs the hell out of me, have clearly stated my point to the owner that i didnt want to be a warm-up to some doosh) but as a digital dj is it a must to have my own audio interface incorporated as an interface for the club ? how else would i be able to use my laptop ?

Quote Originally Posted by rstyle View Post
    as a digital dj is it a must to have my own audio interface incorporated as an interface for the club ? how else would i be able to use my laptop ?
    Not atall.. I don't have a residency, i play all over the place - and i just carry mine around, and plug in as part of my setup process. A lot of people do that (masses who use serato, traktor scratch etc) so don't worry. Once you've done it a couple of times, you get it down to a fine art!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

ALl you need to do is plug your interface into the mixer via RCA cables, or whatever method you need.

Easy, simple, done.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Worse case scenario, go down to the club at a time when its not open to the public and have a little check over the booth. Just scope it all out to prepare yourself. If ever there's a DJ before you get as much shit set up as you can so all you need to do is literally plug in the RCA leads last.
    One potential issue I have come across (prior to being a digital DJ so not had to deal with it yet) is that some clubs build the mixer and TT's into some kinda console so it all lays flush with the surface, and due to this you can't access the back of the mixer. But if you lay down your needs to the manager before playing all should be well