Constructive Criticism Needed for Proposed Controller Layout
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Constructive Criticism Needed for Proposed Controller Layout

Here is a layout for a controller based on 1 Hale Micro UMC32 controller board:

The 3 vertical strips are 100mm resistive touch strips (Sparkfun.com)
    The horizontal rectangle between the 2 left vertical strips is a resistive x/y touch screen (Sparkfun.com)
    The double-lined circular thing beneath the touch screen is a resistive playstation joystick (Sparkfun.com)
    There are 2 45mm crossfaders on the bottom
    4x4 grid of arcade buttons
    4 analog knobs above the touch screen.

This leaves me with 3 controls left to add... but what should they be??

I'm thinking if using it with Ableton Live I'll scene-up and scene down buttons... maybe a start/stop button?? You guys tell me... also, where would you mount them?

I also realize my knobs may need to be repositioned or staggered to get a descent space between them....

Oh yeah.... I forgot.... that little strip of 16 segments above the arcade buttons.... think MIDI sync'd Knight Rider.... but multi-color and better!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Nice design mate. maybe 3 more knobs over on the right hand side somewhere? Possibly move the strip to the centre then you could possibly fit two sets of four knobs up there, hmm. Just an idea anyway.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

perhaps some standard vertical faders? i've become fond of creating 'knob on' effects in ableton, but controlling them with faders...

either way, nice design! keep us updated on the progress...
    !
    Vista | Traktor Pro 2 | VCI-400 EGE | VCI-100 Arcade | MF Pro Beat Masher | MidiFighter Classic (pics)
    Soundcloud

Tech Guru

Hey nice to see more people dreaming with a new controller

I would change the location of some of your pieces as the image attached bellow...

The PS2 Joystick would be more accessible if you put on one of the botton corners, if you will use your left hand to control the joystick, put it next to the left botton corner.

You can try to put the 2 touchstrips next to your xy pad so you can use more fingers of your left hand to control almost 4 controls (4 or more parameters) with one hand. Its like what people can do with the stanton SCS.3 system.

The knobs i would put far away from xy pad because you will become agressive with your touchpad. The best thing of XY is to scratch that pad and pull your hand fast from it. It makes a nice stage effect. I like when DJs with kaos pad 3 put their controller into the air scratching the pad :P
    Have you thinked about using a Nintendo DS screen to your pad? you can put some leds behind of it for feedback.

Let me know what you think of it, and please update us with your new ideas

good luck

Tech Guru

Isn't going resistive going to make performance of your touch strips less sensitive for fingertips?

sounds nice.. can you provide links for the touch components?

Quote Originally Posted by lqbert View Post

Oh yeah.... I forgot.... that little strip of 16 segments above the arcade buttons.... think MIDI sync'd Knight Rider.... but multi-color and better!
    and what is this all about?! too curious, since i will make a custom controller using an UMC32 by the end of the month (when i'm done with my frikking exams)..
    Last edited by basspenetrator; 02-08-2010 at 08:53 AM.
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    sounds nice.. can you provide links for the touch components?
    I think the touch strip hes gonna use is http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8607

I really like this project, tense to see how the controller will look like when its finished :P
    btw : thanks @ Iqbert for the pointer to sparkfun, its a very intersting site
    Last edited by Gameboy; 02-09-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    Xone 22 -- Kontrol X1 -- A4DJ -- TPro -- 13" MBP

Tech Convert

Default Follow-up and comment addressing

Holy crap, people.... thanks for all the awesome feedback. Let me try to address everyone's comments...

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    The PS2 Joystick would be more accessible if you put on one of the botton corners....
    I must say... I like it!

You can try to put the 2 touchstrips next to your xy pad so you can use more fingers of your left hand to control almost 4 controls.....
    Also, I kind of dig going vertical with the x/y and the strips on each side... I didn't think about how crazy I'd probably get with this thing... thanks!

Have you thinked about using a Nintendo DS screen to your pad? you can put some leds behind of it for feedback.
    The screen I envisioned using is the PSP touch screen from Sparkfun.com. The DS screen had some bad reviews dealing with the breakout board that they also sell not fitting correctly.... More LEDs are always a good thing I just haven't thought too much about how I'd easily and successfully incorporate that under the touchscreen.

Does anyone have a better choice for a touchscreen that I can make work with the UMC32??? Please, I'd love options.

Quote Originally Posted by weltraumpapst View Post
    and what is this all about?! too curious, since i will make a custom controller using an UMC32 by the end of the month (when i'm done with my frikking exams)..
    Well, I'm a computer engineer (by education, at least), so I wanted to design a full color row of LEDs that I could make do cool stuff in sync to the music. At first I thought I'd have to design a separate MIDI IN circuit for the controller, and capture the MIDI clock data on a microcontroller (Arduino) and use that to "time" my light show. But, I just realized that the UMC will take MIDI input for the same MIDI notes that it sends if the UMC I/O channel is set as a digital OUT (for LED feedback and stuff). I can just create a midi track in my host software that plays a note every 1/4 or 1/8 or whatever that's sent to the UMC and produces a 5v "clock" signal on the digital OUT pin which I could feed to the Arduino for my timing. This saves me from having to design an extra circuit, have an extra cable connected to my controller, and I think this will be easier to code. But, I will have to "waste" one of my UMC channels for this.

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Isn't going resistive going to make performance of your touch strips less sensitive for fingertips?
    I have no idea.... this is new news to me... what are my other options? And how would they work with the UMC32?

Quote Originally Posted by kelsey7k View Post
    perhaps some standard vertical faders?
    I definitely thought about that, and if I ever build a controller with 2x UMC32s, there definitely will be some. I like how Moldover had mute/cut buttons under each fader that controlled volume for each track... that's what I envision adding to a 2x UMC32 based controller... but baby steps.

Besides, I'm kind of digging the new APC-20 as a possibility as an addition to my "rig"... that's got at least 8 faders... we'll see. Thanks for suggestion!

------------------------

Well people, that's it... for now... I'm pretty sure I'll be altering my design a little based on your suggestions! Please don't stop replying with your ideas if you have the inspiration and inclination!

Later..

Tech Convert

Default Got it!

Well, I got my UMC32 for Valentine's Day... that's love!

GAME ON!

Tech Guru

good luck and if you need any more ideas post it here
    this thread is in my tracking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast