Copyright with music
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Copyright with music

Hello to all,

I have been reading alot on this blog. Very interesting stuff.

I searched the forum for "copyright" didnt find anything

My question is, how does it work with copyright? I mean wont i get sued if I put my own mixes on youtube?

I managed to find out that one is aloud to use copyrighted material for educational purposes, but how is that defined?

I live in Germany, and I assume I would get a lawsuit very quickly. How does it all work? Can anybody maybe give me tipp or a website where its understandable?

Any help would be great, thanks

look at this, we tried to cover GEMA etc. Its quite informative, basically without permission you are not allowed to do anything with music, in example mixing, blending, sampling. Also no distributing on Youtube or alike. Its depressing.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/1027...29.html?page=1
    Samsung R780, Novation Launchpad
    NI AUDIODJ 2, DJTECH IMIX RELOAD, BEHRINGER BCD 3000, KORG NANOPAD
    VESTAX VMC002XL, NUMARK DM3000X, NUMARK TT200
    NI TRAKTOR DUO, VIRTUAL DJ 7 PRO FULL

Tech Student

Thanks for your quick replay!

I did some research on the GEMA website too, I cant believe it. Like nobody follows these rules, but I know that as soon as I go against these rules I will get f*ck, even if its non-profit. What a sad world we live in.

Do you know of any free-music portal or like gema-free portal?

Of course You might want to look for music produced under CC rather than normal copyright

Take a look at this, http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/de/ , and than go on a hunt for tunes you like.

Whats your musical main interest?

what?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by devonic View Post
    Hello to all,

I have been reading alot on this blog. Very interesting stuff.

I searched the forum for "copyright" didnt find anything

My question is, how does it work with copyright? I mean wont i get sued if I put my own mixes on youtube?

I managed to find out that one is aloud to use copyrighted material for educational purposes, but how is that defined?

I live in Germany, and I assume I would get a lawsuit very quickly. How does it all work? Can anybody maybe give me tipp or a website where its understandable?

Any help would be great, thanks
    There was once a Gigs & Mixes Forum on the Traktor Forum.
    It was great , people posted mixes up made in Traktor. Happy Days.

Now of course making a DJ Mix from copyrighted music is illegal (in Europe) this is a fact. BUT we all know that it helps to promote artists and music in general. You hear a DJ mix, you think , yeah that tunes wicked and you go and buy it right?

The artist sells more tunes, DJs get their mixes played, everyone is happy.

Well NO.

The forum was shut down due to the legal threats from an German Dance artist because he found a link to a mix on the Traktor site that a remix of somebody elses track he had done.

The lawyers were brought in and the forum was trashed because NI have better things to do than fight legal battles with Germanys biggest firm of Music Lawyers.

Amongst all the argueing on the forum i asked the artist (numerous times) to just answer one question:
    Have you lost any revenue due to the song being hosted in a DJ mix.

I never got an answer. The whole thing was about money after all or he wouldnt have had the mix pulled. Unfortunatly pulling the mix wasnt good enough for the artist, NI had to pull the whole forum.

I dont know if this artist has listened to mixes on DJTTs or any other forum so i guess there was something that made him go for NI.

Oh and worth adding the artist had previously sold over 10,000,000 records.
    Yes you read right 10 MILLION. And he caused a world of trouble because of one remix in one DJ mix on a forum just for DJs.

Just shows, you never know who is listening to your mix:eek:

[no i wont share the name of the artist]

Tech Mentor

Yeah it's illegal... but everyone is doing it.

Check soundcloud, or mixcloud. You think anyone of those djs pays rights to post their mixes?

To be honest I think it's ridiculous to pay rights unless you are selling the mix, or letting the people download it. As Karlos said, it only helps to promote the music.

If you check Lance's website you can download his sessions, but hey all the tracks are from his own label.

For the most part as long as you are not selling the mix set no producer or label cares when the track is used. There is the exceptional jackass like Karlos stated above who will ruin that stuff for everyone. At any point you are selling the mix set producers and labels will not be happy and you are sure to get a call from a lawyer!!

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    If you check Lance's website you can download his sessions, but hey all the tracks are from his own label.
    not sure if u mean me? if u do then thanks for the plug!! Everything used in my sets are my own productions, from my label, or from friend's promos and they are all wanting me to use them, which I gladly do to help push their music!

Tech Student

The forum was shut down due to the legal threats from an German Dance artist because he found a link to a mix on the Traktor site that a remix of somebody elses track he had done.
    We should find out his name and make it very public what a jackass he is.

Germany is very serious about little things. Just turn on the tv and see how ****** police officers spend their days screwing ppl over for dropping a siggi on the floor. We pay taxes so that some ******* can go solve useless crimes, but hey thats drifting from the topic.

I think there might be more tollerance in Holland! They are more open-minded, and would more likly see that its promotion.

Creativity should be promoted instead of being prosecuted especially in a non-profit situation.

In generall Im happy im not the only one pi**ed off about things like these.

We should all get together and fight against these things somehow. Maybe we should just work harder on anonymunity and make it impossible for them to find us. We can all wear masks and upload videos on youtube via internet cafe's.

I just saw a documentry the other day called "RiP: Remix Manifesto" you probably all know it, if not check it out.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!
    Last edited by devonic; 02-10-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast