Controllers: How to attain accurate 0.02% pitch resolution?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Controllers: How to attain accurate 0.02% pitch resolution?

So through my searching, I have found that it is quite a challenge to find anything that naturally supports capacity for 0.02% incremental changes in pitch, which I consider standard CDJ-1000 behavior (or any well made CD deck for that matter). Mostly (if I'm correct in this notion) because either the pitch slider is not physically long enough (and/or at an appropriate -/+ range) to accommodate the change in values accurately enough, or the MIDI stepping which are on the slider aren't high enough in value to accommodate all the changes in values adequately.

Based on this, I have been reading that the only solution is either a high resolution MIDI slider which can handle the above feature (i.e: VCI-300), or using an endless encoder knob and assigning it to the pitch function (which I'm not a fan of personally, as I like to see-saw my slider to match beats).

Is there a controller which naturally does a 0.02% change in pitch resolution on -/+ 6% pitch range in Traktor, and if not, what are some of the work arounds people use do attain this functionality.

For example, I've heard of people assigning the jog wheels on a VCI-100 to change pitch value when the Shift button is activated.

Also, by all means, if my understanding is inaccurate or partial - inform me

Tech Mentor

another solution - have a fine and coarse adjustment

Tech Guru

Always good to know that I missed something in this case, could you link or elaborate a little on that?. I'm assuming by course, you mean a MIDI control which handles large, whole percentage jumps, and another MIDI control which handles the more fine, fractional percentage changes?.
    Last edited by mmauve; 02-07-2010 at 10:57 PM.

Tech Guru

Anyone?.

Surely I'm not the only one who uses the pitch control instead of the sync button lol.

your certainly not the only one who pitch bends when needed. I have also found that the lower resolution midi controllers (vci-100) are not suited to beatmatch manually with the small pitch faders. which is why I almost always use the jog wheels to control pitch and the outer rim for super fine adjustments. in this way it behaves like a cdj, which is what i learned on. Lately ive given up trying to impress the seasoned vinyl dj's and use sync to match phase and pitchbend accordingly.

I guess your only other option is to search for a controller that supports hi res midi (14bit) or HID to achieve finer pitch control

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Also, by all means, if my understanding is inaccurate or partial - inform me
    Completely accurate. A bit more about it in this article http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10949

14-bit Midi should be able to do the trick, along with HID, or using standard midi in fine/course with modifiers like you suggested. Not very many controllers use 14-bit midi though, it's a shame.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Tech Mentor

I use a pair of SCS3ds now, which have relative slider strips mapped to both fine and normal pitch resolution.
    When I used to use a BCD2000 tho I found it easiest, for my mixing style, to map fine pitch buttons. So when mixing I could get it within the right bpm range with the BCDs low resolution pitch faders, then fine tune it with the buttons while still being able to pitch bend with the jogs (kinda like the way I use TTs).
    I've seen some mappings with the fine pitch assigned to the jogs when a track is playing, to solve the same problem but that just creates more mappings for me as I'd have to add the pitch bending buttons for my style.

Didn't NI add something in 1 of the recent updates to help with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Didn't NI add something in 1 of the recent updates to help with this?
    There is now support for 14 bit midi pitch faders, the problem is not alot of controllers support it

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    There is now support for 14 bit midi pitch faders, the problem is not alot of controllers support it
    Exactly.

My problem, plus, I think it's super crappy that NI sort of half assed the high res MIDI support, since jogwheels aren't supported, only knobs and faders.

As of right now, I have deducted that if Im gonna stick with Traktor, I need an EKS Otus Raw for what I need in a controller, and if I go with Serato Itch, then a Numark V7 hits the mark as well.

Frankly, I'd rather get the Otus Raw, but no word as to when it will be out, further busting my balls -_-

Technically there is 14 bit midi jog wheel support, it just doesnt function. That is you can assign 14 bit messages to the jog wheel midi mapping but it doesnt actually work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast