Serato vs. Traktor Scrach - Pitch Freedom?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Serato vs. Traktor Scratch - Pitch Freedom?!

Hi.

Im currently a Serato user and have asked the Rane team so many times to give us greater pitch range. This means if i bowl up to a club which only has +8/-8 turntables i can switch a button to multiply the input by a certain amount. This would in effect be as if i were DJing on +20/-20 (or more) turntables.

Ive seen that Traktor does give you this option with Traktor Pro but will it allow you to utilise this feature in Scratch Pro when in timecode mode (using a standard turntable)

This would be the final sway over to Traktor if the answer is yes.

Thanks, Benji
    Last edited by apricotandpearjam; 02-12-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Tech Mentor

The pitch adjustment limit isnt caused by the program, its due to the use of timecode. Serato, Traktor, or any dvs reads the frequency of the timecode vinyl/cd and when the vinyl/cd is pitched up the frequency of the tone on the timecode increases as well (you hear this as the tone being pitched up). When the dvs reads the frequency going up, it will speed up the audio file being played. So to put it simply, the dvs' pitch range is determined by how far the cdj or turntable can pitch change the timecode. The only way I could see this changing is if the dvs maker could make the same frequency correspond to two different pitches/speeds.

Thanks for getting back to me...

Either this or being able to pitch the internal fader, then use the physical pitch on the turntable to mix.

Either doing this whilst mixing or switching, pitching and back to mixing!

Catchy huh!

Tech Mentor

You can use the internal pitch fader with traktor scratch, but you lose all dvs funtionality until you switch back to relative or absolute mode. One thing you could do is run 2 decks running dvs while having two decks running internal (or midi if you wanna call it that) that way if you wanted to do a big pitch jump you could use the internal pitch fader on one deck, and still have the other two dvs decks running cuing up a track thats in a +8/-8 pitch range.

Its a good suggestion but it all needs to be vinyl/timecode.

I was under the impression that Traktor could actually do this, meaning multiplying the input by a percentage. In preferences you can choose %10/35/50 or 100.

Does this do what i actually think it does, answering this question? If not, whats it for?

If not, midi mapping a fader to quickly pitch the track internally and moving back to relative mode wouldnt be too much of a pain. It could be easier though.

Its such a hugely demanded feature for many many people on the Serato forums, firstly requested in 2004!

Please someone tell me im not going mad!

Tech Mentor

The internal pitch percentages do not apply to the use of dvs, just internal/midi mixing. When using timecode you are still limited by the pitch range of the pitch slider on the cdj/turntable.

Sure. But is there a way of pitching the internal fader, locking the new pitch and switching back to relative for timecode mixing?

Tech Guru

Yeah this is possible man, of course it is, I do it all the time (if I understand you correctly that is).
    Say you have a track running at 135bpm (or faster) and you want to mix a track thats 70bpm (or slower) in with it, obviously the decks won't do that naturally as the pitch range is too small. So all you gotta do is have a button on your laptop or external midi controller with a sync button assigned to it for each deck. So say the 135bpm+ track is on the master deck (which can be set manually or automatically), you just hit the sync button on the slave deck and the internal pitch will jump up to match the other deck, yet you still have the pitch on the external deck to control. You can't have a CONSTANT lock if you are using the time code vinyl on BOTH decks as obviously they run independently like records would, what you have is that momentary push of the button to snap the slave deck to match the master deck internally, and then you can ride the pitch on the TT. If you want a constant lock you can either switch both decks to internal mixing mode, or have the master deck on the time code vinyl and the slave deck on sync (provided the slave deck is on internal mode). So if you speed up the master deck on the TT, the slave deck will always be locked no matter what (then just unsync to go back to full time code).
    What I think you are trying to achieve is regular old mixing but with tracks with widely different tempos? So yeah, all you gotta do is hit sync on the track you are mixing in and it will match the master deck (but not lock). So in theory you don't hardly ever have to touch the pitch controls on your decks any more, just keep hitting sync as soon as you hear it drift out of time. Your external TT might be on say +2% pitch yet it could be on +30 internally, then if you move your external pitch down to say -4% the internal pitch is obviously going to slow down too, so all you do is hit sync and it will snap back up to +30 internally. You can even fuck around with the external pitch while repeatedly pressing sync to keep the internal pitch on +30 to match the other decks tempo. There's lots of tricks you can use with speeding up tracks smoothly beyond the range of a +/-8 pitch all the way up to 100%.

Hope that helps

edit

-----

And obviously you have key lock so you can have a track running super fast, but retain the original key
    Last edited by dodge; 02-08-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by apricotandpearjam View Post
    Sure. But is there a way of pitching the internal fader, locking the new pitch and switching back to relative for timecode mixing?
    Yeah you would just have to hit the relative button to get it back into relative mode. Just realize that if you switch back to relative it will go back to whatever pitch it is on the cdj/tt's pitch slider, and not the internal. So if you pitched it up/down more than the range on the cdj/tt you will hear the pitch change.

Dodge.... thanks for your answer...

That sounds great and if thats right then great. I still think manual control over it would help. Do i have to remain in sync mode in order for the track to stay were its been put?

Im actually mixing tracks to Ableton Live and i need to be able to actually mix them non-dependent of what tempo im in. This is another reason why i need a solid solution to this.

Internal mode is simply not an option for me. Im so so used to the turntables and i just dont like the feel of anything else.

Peedot.... what youre saying is if i switch to internal, pitch then go back to relative it would have made no difference.... basically youre saying relative mode wont read the offset of the internal pitch?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast