general apc40 question - cueing

Default general apc40 question - cueing

hi, i bought the apc not too long ago and working with ableton 7 lite. could someone please enlighten me how i can cue clips into my headphones?

also if any of you are like me, just getting started on this controller - send me a pm, or gchat/aim. id love to have another friend in my position.

Tech Guru

Are you talking in a traditional sense that a DJ would cue channels?. Also, what soundcard are you using?

Tech Mentor

to be able to cue into headphones with ableton you will need a soundcard that has 2 stereo outs (audio2 or audio4 for example)...without it, you wouldnt be able to cue in headphones. But if your using ableton you shouldnt think of using it in a traditional DJing way, you really dont have to cue unless you are trying to beatmatch with someone using cdjs or turntables.

+1 to the post above. However, I DJ with ableton/apc 40 as well and sometimes it is helpful to cue a track for a quick preview or to find the right place to launch it.
    15" Macbook Pro D2.6ghz: SSL, 1200's/CDJ 400's, DJM 400 / Ableton Live 8, APC 40.

Tech Mentor

^^

Thats true as well, i guess its all in how you prepare your set. My ableton set has a bunch of songs already warped and split into different clips (intro, breakdown, etc) so i just have to start triggering clips and away we go!

ah excellent, now i have to look for a sound card. thanks for the advice.

wow bgardali - your set up!! records, cds and digital manipulation... how do you work it?

You will need a channel or pair (for stereo) available for cueing. You can reroute the "Solo" (blue button) for many different types of cue such as:
    -Pre/post (virtual) fader
    -Single / multiple solos
    -Control volume with APC

Some break out boxes allow for monitoring via headphone, or in other words, you can use the headphone jack as a configurable out.

Choose wisely - do not go cheap.

I use a Rane TTM 56s in my ableton rig (monitoring incl) with a TC Electronics Konnnekt 24. Very solid rig (on a mac). My signal path, scratching, post ableton processing, and overall control is an order of magnitude beyond anything else I have ever used.

For the record - Tascam produces some of the most solid breakout boxes on the market. They are not sexy, only stable and well supported. I have owned, broke, sold, or used damn near every type of break out box. My 5 tascam units over the years were all great.