Getting more gigs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Getting more gigs

I need more gigs. Aside from going from club to club handing out CD's to staff, can anyone give me some pointers on what other avenues I can cover? Is it worth phoning head offices? Is it worth emailing?
    Also, how keen should I get with CD aesthetics? I'm guessing people are going to say don't just write on the front with a CD marker, get a design on the front. But would those home made sticker jobbies do the trick, or are they still a bit amateur?

I've been cushy in my weekly gig for so long now I haven't really pushed myself for more work, but now I'm thinking I should pull my thumb out my ass and get on the case.

Any help appreciated.

Peace

hey mate

There have been threads on this before so have a quick search too but anyway here are thoughts...

Get CD stickers - they are ideal!

http://www.staples.co.uk/mailing-pac...bels/cd-labels

Your CDs should have an "audio watermark" saying you dj name. Helps protect anyone nicking em them and looks / sounds a bit more pro. Also your web address if you have one.

have a website and host more mixes on there. Add more mixes, photos from gigs and a bio on there etc

Then hand out physical cds at gigs and with a website you can email people links directly.

(ps your mate still got those decks? - pm if so)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Guru

Oh shit, fuck sorry man, I completely forgot to phone you. I didn't wanna call you until I had a proper inspection of them seeing as I knew you were interested. Yeah he's still got them. I went round there the other day and had a ganders. They are all good, only thing is they got a few chips on them, nothing major. The tone arms are all nice and proper. Everything works fine, one of the lids has a bit of a crack in it so he's taped it up. Yeah, all good apart from surface chips here and there just from general wear and tear and probably being moved around. If you want pics I'll ask him to send me some to send you. Or if you wanna have a look you can, what ever you wanna do mate.

use your current residency as a resume booster. if you already have one, your more likely to get more.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Is the CD thing really helping a lot?
    This is a serious question because I am trying to find ways to get regular PUBLIC gigs, at all.
    Also, how usual is it to actually hand out CDs on gigs? I've never seen anyone doing that. And to whom should I give them? The DJ or wait for the club owner to show up?

i used a current residency to pimp myself out a little more. i get more random gigs now. i also have emailed college radio stations (still in school lol), which have 'promised' me a gig on their dance music night.

physical cds are always best. not sure what market you are targeting, but labeling even the home printer kind works wonders! i agree with the audio water mark. i think ean golden wrote an article on promoting yourself.

good luck!

Tech Mentor

this business is all about who you know. so go and make some friends.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djalexlaine View Post
    so go and make some friends.
    How do I do that then?
    Last edited by dodge; 02-10-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Tech Guru

haha... it feels kind of wierd trying to give advice to someone who has a residency... when the only people I play for are my neighbors on the other side of the apartment wall haha.

This might not apply to you specifically, but personally, I've been trying to gather a bit of a support by throwing good house parties. Those types of situations are not necessarily about the quality of mixing, its really just about assuring all people involved are having a good time. If you succeed in that, you have gained a bit of a following. hand out cd's of your mix tapes to those people, or give em a card with a link to your website. When they sober up, they are more than likely going to give it a listen, and hopefully they will both like what they hear, and remember that you were partially, if not entirely responsible for the god time they had the other night.

All that pans out to more of a following overall, which *will* get your more gigs (theoretically. I could just be a bedroom dj viewing the world through a golden lens).

Tech Guru

So what I did was just hang out at bars I liked to DJ in, talked to the staff, talked about DJ'ing. Then I would bring a big crew of my friends. Eventually people will get to know who you are and if your style fits, your in.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast