Midi to USB Adapter? - Mixer Behringer DDM 4000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Midi to USB Adapter? - Mixer Behringer DDM 4000

Hi DJTT,

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/DDM4000.aspx

I'm considering the "Digital" Mixer Behringer DDM 4000 for my home-setup basically because of his versatility of beign a External 4 Channel Mixer or Internal 4 Channel MIDI Mixer. The price is also very good here at Brazil.
    It's far away from my dream setup (SCS.3 System) but it's what we can buy here without shipping overseas and paying extremely high import taxes.

Pictures:

My main question is about the MIDI IN/OUT, how would I plug this mixer to my laptop if I decide to use it as Internal MIDI Mixer? Should I use an adapter MIDI->USB?

This adapter can cause latency to my midi commands?
    There is Windows and Mac drivers that support this MIDI Device used with this type of MIDI Adapter?

[edit]more questions[/edit]
    I've heard that is possible to have 2~3 channels controlled by MIDI and 1 to normal Audio control. Is that true?
    I'm thinking about use 2~3 channels for midi and 1 for input my Numark DJIO main output, this way I would have the DDM4000 as my MIDI Mixer and Main Sound Table...
    If that is possible I can think in a new world of possibilities with the sample feature that we cant do with traktor. You can sample a track and send the sample to one channel with this mixer to EQ and FX it.
    Can we sample a Channel that receives the Numark DJIO master output?

OBS: I know that if I use it as Internal Mixer i would need an audio interface too...
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 02-09-2010 at 10:47 AM.

Tech Mentor

I used Swissonic Midi-USB -cable and didn't notice any latency/problems, although I read online that it's not supposedly very good.

Oh, and didn't require any drivers on my Mac.
    @Twumpy

First time I've seen that mixer, looks awesome!
    For midi > usb I use a midiman 2x2 for studio work and it's never failed me, it gets a lot of usage daily and is built in a metal case.
    1 usb cable to computer.
    2 midi in/outs on serprate channels to control different things.

You'll get one from under £10.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MIDISPORT-2x2-...item2558b51677
    JOHN SHIMA | LIVE RADIO SHOW
    ALTERNATE SUNDAYS 8PM - 10PM (GMT)
    DETROIT TECHNO | DEEP HOUSE | BLEEPS | ACID
    www.future-music.co.uk

Tech Guru

Thanks for the replies. More questions:

I'm really tempted to buy one DDM4000...
    It's really not portable but I need versatility to decide what setup I want...
    Now I have only a Oxygen 8 V2 with Traktor and it's pretty limited for what I plan to do on the booth.
    The DDM4000 is really close to all Club's Standard Setup (DJM400-800) and I need to try different controllers with that Mixer occuping space in the booth.

I've heard that is possible to have 2~3 channels controlled by MIDI and 1 to normal Audio control. Is that true?

I'm thinking about use 2~3 channels for midi and 1 for input my Numark DJIO main output, this way I would have the DDM4000 as my MIDI Mixer and Main Sound Table...

If that is possible I can think in a new world of possibilities with the sample feature that we cant do with traktor. You can sample a track and send the sample to one channel with this mixer to EQ and FX it.
    Can we sample a Channel that receives the Numark DJIO master output?
    Last edited by V-Hoff; 02-09-2010 at 10:49 AM.

did a quick search,

according to the manual,

the ddm4000 can be used to control dj or sequencer software applications by converting individual mixer sections on the mixer to MIDI controllers and assigning these to defined software functions.

make sure to read the reviews, best of luck.

Tech Mentor

You can have the DDM full midi and feed the audio from DJIO back to the channel. You can then use gain to control the volume, use the onboard effects and then control the master channel normally (only thing besides gain and efx that doesn't midi map).

It is also possible to mix the channels any way you want between audio and midi, so answer to that question is yes. Build quality IMO is from completely different planet than other Behringer mixers and you get a lot for the price. Portability and going full Ableton is the reason I just sold mine.
    @Twumpy

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

I heard the sound quality just isn't there... still making it a sick controller, but if your not using its soundcard you loose use of it's on-board effects...something to keep in mined.. haha kinda off topic but man for how much I see you repin' DJTT's id think you'd be all about the SE VCI homie. just got a VCI, 100x better than my traditional dj set up.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

on topic the m-audio uno is my personal favorite midi to usb & works with the DDM
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

I used the ESI Midimate with my DDM4K which was just fine (although I should probably have taped the two wires together to keep things clean).

You can pick which parts of the mixer you want to use in midi mode : microphone / sampler / channel 1-4 / crossfader. For channels 1-4 you can set it to still let the audio through, if that's useful to you. There's a sheet of CC messages for in/out, so you can map the leds from Traktor for example.
    It can only send a midi clock, not receive it (and I forgot whether Traktor can receive too).

Now, about the sampler.
    It gives you two banks to play with, but you can only route them to a single mixer channel, including the mike channel, to which you can't apply effects.
    You can play both samples at the same time and pitchbend them.
    You could for example record a bit from ch1, record a bit from another channel with a different length, then assign to a dedicated sample channel and play both at the same time.
    You can trigger sample playback with a fader start, this needs the channel to be assigned to one side of the xfader.
    By default, you will control the blend between sampler/channel with the dry/wet knob, but in that case the sampler is not affected by your channel EQ.
    If you want that, you have to set the sampler to INSERT by pressing that button next to the dry/wet knob. You will however lose whatever other audio is normally playing through this channel.

Two caveats:
    The automated BPM detection of the unit may be ok for FX, but if you want to sample a loop, prepare to do some pitchbending. This has made me disable the sampler by just turning it to midi mode so the shiny lights don't blind me uselessly .
    Once you've recorded a sample, you can't adjust its length, you will have to resample.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFastStephen View Post
    I heard the sound quality just isn't there... still making it a sick controller, but if your not using its soundcard you loose use of it's on-board effects...something to keep in mined.. haha kinda off topic but man for how much I see you repin' DJTT's id think you'd be all about the SE VCI homie. just got a VCI, 100x better than my traditional dj set up.
    DDM doesn't even have a soundcard, and you can put the audio through the mixer if you want to use the efx. I've actually heard praise for the sound quality coming from XOne owner. I'd say that's pretty good for 300 bucks.
    @Twumpy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast