VCI and Atom processors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VCI and Atom processors

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before, I did try a search and could only find stuff alluding to my problem but not directly answering it.

I am about to buy a VC1 100 and was planning on running it on my little Netbook, an Advent with a 1.6 Ghz Atom chip and 1gb ram as this meets the minimum specs listed everywhere I looked.
    However somewhere on vestax's own website it says the VCI won't run on Atom chips because all though the speed is technically ok, they are just not poweful enough.

Is this correct? It's funny because I'm pretty sure the guy in this vid is using my machine so i can see Traktor will run on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhqlrAJ_bg

I have also seen a few vids of other controllers being used with netbooks, just not the VCI 100. Does this mean it's not possible.

If not I'll just have to go and pick up my old laptop from storage, so its not a huge issue but I don't want to be gutted when my new toy arrives

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I think they are more saying that they won't support any issues with using a netbook. It could work, but if it doesn't it ain't on them.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

It also boils down to how you upkeep the operating system. With netbooks, the name of the game is low overhead, and maxing out your RAM. If you make an effort to trim down on the fluff, it's possible to do what you're aiming to.

Thanks for the info. Ive seen a few comments like "you'll hate yourself for using Traktor on a netbook" and "I wouldn't play a club with a net book" so I should clarify a bit. I'm making the change from CDJ's to digital and it will be a good while till I play out anywhere. I'll also be using Traktor 3 LE for a good while as I want to learn the basics before upgrading, which I think may make it easier on the processor.

@mmauve
    Ok what your saying is very interesting but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I run XP but don't really know how do optimise it like you suggest. Is it a case of changeing settings or do you mean like housekeeping (uninstalling rarely used programs, putting all my files onto my external hard drive, that sort of thing)

Also later on I will be getting an external soundcard because I want to be able to monitor with headphones (not sure which yet, still researching) will that help or hinder?

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Doppleskanger View Post
    @mmauve
    Ok what your saying is very interesting but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I run XP but don't really know how do optimise it like you suggest. Is it a case of changeing settings or do you mean like housekeeping (uninstalling rarely used programs, putting all my files onto my external hard drive, that sort of thing)
    last link in my sig is an article about streamlining windows, mainly xp based

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    last link in my sig is an article about streamlining windows, mainly xp based
    Yeah what he said lol

My old Pentium laptop could run four streams of MP3 with EQ under Carrot Innovations VirtualTurntables, and that was back in 1996. Audio streams are cheap on the CPU, it's the Disk IO that'll kill you.

Tech Guru

When I owned a netbook, first thing I did was buy a solid state disk for it. Shit was so cash.

man that netbook in the youtube vid takes a long time to load...

what are the specs of your old laptop?

Ok had a look at that article, sounds really good. Will have my computer geek flat mate look through it and sort out the machine once I have the new stuff installed. Thanks.

Well the old one was a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz if I remember. 512 Ram I suspect although I can't be sure. The battery is fucked but it still runs fine off the mains. It's in England (and I'm not) at the moment but could go and grab it in a week or two. Why, do you think I'll need it?
    Last edited by Doppleskanger; 02-10-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast