New Guy looking to start up.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New Guy looking to start up.

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the whole djing thing. I wanted to know if anyone can help me find the equipment I'm looking for. Here what i need:
    1.Something light. (I have a mac book pro)
    2.Good enough to use for parties in moderately large areas.

I was thinking of something like Stanton scs systems or a vestax vci-100SE. I'm really interested in the whole sound manipulation. obviously I'm lost, I'd like to use the stuff I named. anything else I'm missing? please help! Thanks.

Tech Mentor

you will need a DVS system of some description. I personally use Traktor Scratch and love it but there are other DVS systems on the market such as Serato.

this will cost around £400.

what kind of music will u be playing because you some controllers will work better depending on what your trying to do.
    i suppose you couldnt go wrong with the vestax vci-100SE regardless of style

Tech Wizard

If u want something u can take with u simply and u don't want timecode, then u should go for the VCI-100 with a small sound card like the Audio 2 or Audio 4 dj. Or if u want to mix external and want to save some money, the new traktor kontrol X1 wouldn't be a bad choice then.
    Macbook Pro, VCI-100 FW 1.3, Traktor Pro, Audio 2 DJ

It's all about the house music, and it always will be.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by manus View Post
    you will need a DVS system of some description. I personally use Traktor Scratch and love it but there are other DVS systems on the market such as Serato.

what kind of music will u be playing because you some controllers will work better depending on what your trying to do.
    i was looking around and that term came up alot. what exactly is a dvs system?

short form for digital-vinyl-system.
    you set up time-code vinyls on your turn-tables (TT) and direct the outcoming audio to your computer, which then performs your actions on the vinyl on the mp3 file on your disc.
    therefore you can manipulate any digital peace of music just like a good ol' vinyl in any kind of way (scratch, pitch...)

Tech Convert

hm, now assuming i want something smaller, would the vestax vci-100 be fine? what else would i need?
    1.Mac book pro with traktor Pro
    2.Vestax vci-100se
    3.audio 4 DJ
    Anything else I'm forgetting?

Tech Guru

a Traktor Pro upgrade from the LE version which comes with the VCI-100SE. A $110 cost, other than that, you're pretty much done.

Once you get your equipment, whatever it may be, I suggest reading about DJing, a lot. There are so many aspects to it that many people overlook when beginning. When I first got into it I read a few hundred articles easy...Making sure you have adequate knowledge base of all different types of DJing will help you to improve and understand what it is exactly you are doing, why you are doing it, how all that equipment actually works and help you when you meet another more experienced DJ, and call yourself a DJ...I find when meeting another DJ they sometimes like to test you a little, it feels good to know what you are talking about

Tech Convert

Thanks for the help guys! this really helps!
    one more question:
    Ive been looking at speakers, are the 2 JBL Eon518's and 2 JBL Eon-505's good for a start? just to go small to mediocre gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by manus View Post

......why does he "need" a dvs exactly..?
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast