Mixer troubles..

Default Mixer troubles..

Hey so those of you who may have read my last post about me having trouble recording, this is kind of related..

I noticed today that when recording i was using an on board effect on my mixer (manual filter..) and for like a tiny split second my meters shot up and there was a loud clicking/popping noise.

I tried to keep this in mind when listening to my playback and I'm fairly certain this is the position where my recording got ruined and began to be heavily distorted (it stayed distorted for the rest of the mix).

I suppose my question is, what is this? I've noticed it before, and it seems to be on effects that I don't use as much as others. I bought the mixer new from the factory so could it be a default? Or routing issue (bad cables maybe?).

The only other thing I can think of is that it's actually got a asian AC cord so I use an adaptor - I think it's pretty shitty too it's an old one I used for a phone charger. Can electrical interruption cause this type of behaviour?

Any ideas would be swell.

Quote Originally Posted by zacl87 View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is that it's actually got a asian AC cord so I use an adaptor - I think it's pretty shitty too it's an old one I used for a phone charger. Can electrical interruption cause this type of behaviour?
    yes, this is where i would start first, you'll have see these issues until electrical interference is removed.

it could be the static electricity of you touching the effects that jump starts the noisey recordings or it might be the electrical processes inside the mixer that control effects, but with solid grounding and power I think you'll see this go away.

best of luck

Ok thanks for that

hmmmm. I actually picked up a new power cord today and it's still exactly the same. Could it be another appliance in my house that can could cause the interruption?

What should I do concerning static electricity from me? stand on a towel or something?

I too thought this would fix the problem but I suppose not. Any suggestions would be great.

Tech Guru

I'd actually put some ferrite chokers on your USB cable. That would be a good start

That's pretty interesting actually I'll give it a crack. As I use a hub with 4 USB imports would it be better to put the clips on the individual cables or would one on the hub cable to the computer suffice?

Tech Guru

My general rule of thumb is to put them on all cables, it's basically a filter which removes alot of signal distortion which can lead to drop outs, crackles, etc.

Sweet thanks for that definitely worth a go.