The best decal to pad method
    Tech Guru

Default The best decal to pad method

What's the best way you have seen or have done to label up pads on your controller? Pads are generally made of a rubber based material so whats the most recommended solution of getting decals to stick? Someone in another post said they have used double sided sticky squares to stick on the pads, then reversed (so as not to rub off the print over time) a clear laser copy of their chosen symbols and stuck them to the sticky squares. This was on a launchpad so it all had to be clear due to the LEDs on the pads. This seems like a pretty sorted way of going about it but just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas

Also, if you have pads already with a symbol of some description on them from the factory, what's the best way of getting that shit off so you can do your own symbol? I was thinking about getting some form of solvent to try and rub it off but then thought I might melt the rubber pad or some shit. Then I thought about somehow skimming a thin layer off the pad leaving you free to put your own decal on there. If anything I thought that by skimming a layer off it might be rough enough to leave a key to help with sticking something. Just how to do it without fucking it up? How could I take a thin layer off a pad to a professional standard?

Tech Wizard

cant you use isopropyl alcohol to get rid of the printing on your controller? Thats a high value rubbing alcohol by the way. That's what I do at work to get off adhesives and printing. If it doesn't work, try a mellow solvent that wont eat plastic. Like mineral spirits.

Also I like to use gaffers' tape with a marker to mark all my controls on my controller. But I find it easier to just learn the controls. I work in a sign shop and I have made my own labels many times. You can also get wide box tape (clear) and make a sort of over laminate for your own labels, so the ink wont rub off.

[edit]I just realized.... you meant on pads........ Sorry I have never had success to mark labels on the rubber pads themselves. Unless you get a very strong marker to stain the rubber. But that ruins the pads if you change the controls. I always put them above the controls and the right side if it has a second function.[/edit]
    Last edited by evilspaz; 02-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.