Download and Downsize: interesting article
    Tech Guru

Default Download and Downsize: interesting article

http://pc.ign.com/articles/106/1067247p1.html

Good read about our future possessions.

Tech Guru

I can really see arguments for both sides. But when I look at my collection of stuff (books, DVDs, games) I can't help but be annoyed at the space they take up. Books would have to be my biggest culprit. I rarely read books another go around so i'm already starting to contemplate a digital reader which takes up the space of one dvd case.

The only problem I see in an all digital future, is the very crazy completely impossible scenario of just losing everything. No different then when your hard drive fails and loses tons of information now, but imagine that on a huge scale like your entire media collection (books, music, movies, games) all gone in an instant. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    The only problem I see in an all digital future, is the very crazy completely impossible scenario of just losing everything. No different then when your hard drive fails and loses tons of information now, but imagine that on a huge scale like your entire media collection (books, music, movies, games) all gone in an instant. What do you guys think?
    Well you could back everything up. Either on your own external storage, or an online solution. (The industrial project I'm in uses www.sugarsync.com. It's also a great way to collaborate when you can't physically get together.)

On the other hand I just put together a few Ikea bookshelves for all my reading material, and then there's a few old school record shops around here...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Backup.

Today the price of space is cheap, and it's getting cheaper everyday. Pdfs are not getting bigger, and so is music Movies are getting really big instead...

In the event of post apocaliptic scenario you'd loose all you media, but then, in those cicumstances that would be the least of your problems.