Multicontrol HID - MIDI for OS X

Default Multicontrol HID - MIDI for OS X

Can anyone explain how this program works? http://www.arj.no/2008/02/25/multicontrol-v04/

I'm trying to use a video game flightstick as a MIDI controller. I run the program and the device buttons work, I can see it interacting with the program, and I check the MIDI box for all the controls, and set the MIDI to IAC Driver 1, which I can then see in Traktor's controller preferences. But that's it -- I can't seem to get traktor to recognize that I am pushing buttons and stuff on the controller. And I can't make heads or tails of what is written in the "Help" screen of Multicontrol. Has anyone used this program for this purpose? Am I supposed to enter values in all those boxes, and if so how do I figure out what values to enter?

it's pretty straight forward, but can be confusing if you've never done it before. It works kind of like a very simple version of Steim's Junxion. I've never used Traktor, but it works great in Live..

Make sure you have the MIDI preferences set in Traktor to allow you to map MIDI devices--in ableton it's "remote on". Just having IAC as input alone won't work.

--When you first open Multicontrol, push every button on your HID device and move the stick so the program can read it. (You will have to do this every time you open it, so save the preset to make it easier...)

--push the "MIDI on" button at the top that will auto-select all the channels.

--choose the type of function-- most likely just a control change. It's already defaulted as "ctlout". You do not need to change any values to get started.

--obviously open up your other program and see if you're getting a MIDI signal, and map a button.

--For the stick itself, you'll want to mess with the "MIDI range" in Multicontrol-- otherwise the values will be too wide to be useful. Move it around; find out what channels the up/down/left/right are on. Swipe the cursor in the grey box and choose a range (maybe set the duration a little longer than a button... ).

That's pretty much it.. if you're not getting anything, it's most likely because the mapping is not turned on in Traktor.

good luck!

Thanks! Does anybody know what this command would be in Traktor? I can't find anything in the manual that talks about this, and I don't see it in the Controller Manager preferences in Traktor. There is just a "Learn" option but it doesn't seem to recognize activity coming from the controller.