Mixing Styles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Styles

Tech Wizard

Default Mixing Styles

I know what mixing is. I don't get it when someone says, "I like your mixing style." Are there really that many types of ways to mix? Could someone list some DJs that you believe is great at mixing.
    MacBook Pro • Ableton Live 8.1.1 • Novation Nocturn • LPK25

Tech Guru

Depends on the genre.

When I mix straight up 127-132 techno, I find myself using the crossfader more often since it's more appropriate to do quick jabs and phase replacements from time to time. Filters are nice to have too for supplemental purposes, but always used in moderation.

Progressive is more so those Sasha-esque/Noel Sanger style 2+ minute phase transitioning long bombs, it leans more towards a blending style due to song structuring, but it's purely circumstantial as each track varies (and rightfully should, otherwise progressive gets really boring in my opinion).

Mixing doesn't just cover the transitional aspect of DJing, it also in my opinion encompasses proper EQ work, which also ties into proper programming. Programming a set is important not only for effect, but you obviously don't want to mix two tracks side by side which are bass heavy and don't have any supplemental elements, you end up with a muddy clash which isn't really pleasurable on an audible level. Not to mention sampling, that's a whole different ball game.

You really wanna see some impressive mixing, check out James Zabiela. Best of both worlds.

Tech Wizard

Thank you. You've been very helpful. Looking into James Zabiela now.

Tech Mentor

Mixing style is just how you DJ, your own personal technique. When I do Hard Techno/Trance I almost always have 4 decks going, and do 2-3 minute long transitions, very hard to tell when a new song begins or ends, let alone what song is even playing. I go FX heavy as well. It still sounds like hard techno/trance (which is very important mind you) but it sounds like my hard music. I also employ quick cuts on a multi-directional crossfader that I have setup (love being able to program traktor to do what you want), so I use every trick at my disposal. Its all about personal preference and rocking the crowd in the grand scheme of things.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Wizard

I see. So pretty much I need to learn the basics of mixing. Then with experience find how I personally like to mix. OK. Think I got it. Thanks.

Three things you need to remember mate: Practise, Practise, and Beer
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post

You really wanna see some impressive mixing, check out James Zabiela. Best of both worlds.

Tech Wizard

Haha sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    Three things you need to remember mate: Practise, Practise, and Beer
    but remember the beer could lead to experiments going awry lol

There are soooooooooooooo many different ways of mixing its not funny, especially in the digital world the different ways has just blown up astronomically !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast