CDJs vs. Vinyl? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CDJs vs. Vinyl?

Quote Originally Posted by chrismp View Post
    well, except for changing CDs
    don't underestimate that skill
    If you ever changed the playing cd in a live situation you know what I mean
    Y M C A !

2x 1200sl, Denon MC-6000, VCI-100 SE Arcade, Midifighter, BCR 2000, Traktor X1, Tracktor Scratch Pro, Pioneer 600 mixer, a mother in law (for sale!) and loads of coffee!

Thanks for all the good advice.

I'd love to learn to play on some decks just because I would probably feel a little more accomplished then. I went over to a friends house whose got two technics and was pretty much getting tracks aligned within the hour. He just says he wants to hear a mix on some hardware so I'd need a lot more time.

I agree that it's important to learn on something... less helpful. But, I also am limiting myself in doing so.

I'm thinking now that Vinyl would be nice (cheaper for the decks, more "old school"), but I see more guys on CDJs at the clubs and I think it'd be easier to pick up where I am coming from.

Can CDJs be used as a DVS for Traktor? If so it might be a nice setup with the Kontrol XI.

DVS?
    if you mean if you can use them to work with traktor, my 400s can

Quote Originally Posted by stringerhye View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice.
    Can CDJs be used as a DVS for Traktor? If so it might be a nice setup with the Kontrol XI.
    Y M C A !

2x 1200sl, Denon MC-6000, VCI-100 SE Arcade, Midifighter, BCR 2000, Traktor X1, Tracktor Scratch Pro, Pioneer 600 mixer, a mother in law (for sale!) and loads of coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by stringerhye View Post
    sure, just need the timecode on cd or a cd deck that is midi/hid compatible.

FYI you need Traktor scratch pro to use DVS
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

As a disclaimer to what I'm about to say, I learned to beatmatch on vinyl, spun on CDs, then timecode vinyl, and now I'm 100% controllerist.

You can learn to beatmatch on controllers. Is it required? Well, honestly, no. You can learn to do everything without the "crutches" as some people call them. But you don't need to. Why is it necessary? Yes, you could learn how to mix songs well, and beatmatching speeds that process along.

If this guy already likes what you do then rock the fuck on. SHould you go out and spend an extra $1000 on gear that you might never use after this gig? Fuck no. That's stupid, shortsighted, and anyone encouraging you to do that is not thinking of your specific needs.

Are those pieces of equipment necessary to be a better DJ? I'm sorry to say it, but no. Did I learn things spinning on CDs that I translated to spinning on controllers? Of course. But now that I've been spinning on controllers I think differently than when I spin on CDs and prefer my mindset on controllers. You don't NEED those things.

And you should tell that promoter that if he liked your recorded set then he should let you make the crowd rock out how you're comfortable. You won't be as comfortable on CDJs or vinyl, and you may as well kiss the gig goodbye unless you can learn how to do what you do on a completely different medium really really quickly. If an art director came up to someone who draws professionally and said "I love your work, I'd love to display it, but I only display paintings" do you think that artist would drop everything, learn how to paint as good as their drawings, just for that one curator? No. Why should the OP?

Look, every skill and ability you can learn is invaluable, be it beat matching, scratching, mixing on EQ's, cutting, beat juggling, cue juggling, looping, effects, etc.. But, you'll find your preferences. It's what YOU do and what defines YOU as a DJ. And as you grow you'll incorporate more. But don't let some short sighted, ignorant promoter make you change your methods because he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

Others aren't going to share our views. Promoters aren't going to cater to us. But they aren't going to accept us any more frequently if we don't stand up for and defend the style and art form we have chosen. If every time a promoter tells us "I won't book you cause you're on a laptop. Learn to spin on CDs" we do, then it will never go anywhere regardless.

That's my .02. Sorry for the rant, not trying to offend anyone, and I don't 100% disagree with anyone who has said the opposite. But, learning to spin CDs or Vinyl merely to expand your horizons is one thing. Learning it to feed the ego of an ignorant promoter is another.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I agree whole-heartedly DvlsAdvct, however it is so frustrating to not get a gig because of the way I do things. I know I could rock the house, but it is a stigma that because I'm using a laptop and a midi controller then I'm not a "dj".

I don't know what to do though, he said if I could record a mixtape as good as the one I have right now then I'm pretty much a shoe in. However, I don't really know anyone with CDJs or tables that I could record on.

I agree I don't want to spend the money on something I don't really even want to use, but there is that stigma there.

you could always rent a pair of cdjs and a mixer to do practice on and do the mix tape.

we've had other threads where people get all emotional/controller hurt when i suggest everyone learning to dj should know how to spin on cdjs, and bring along that updated cd case to every gig in case it arises that you need to use the cdjs.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Would the same thing be said to a CD DJ? They show up and the CD deck jams, so they better have some vinyl on backup.

No, that would never be said. How is this any different?

And it is still a completely different discussion. Being able to spin on CDs or vinyl is a great thing, but should it be necessary to be called a DJ? Should spinning on vinyl be our standard? Should spinning tape decks? Should being able to spin without pitch faders, or direct drive, or whatever, be the standard? Cause people did that. ANd we have let it evolve since then. How many people are standing up saying "Well, you better know how to DJ without relying on a time readout on your CD player"? These are ALL crutches that we have adapted to. Hell, even the CDJ-1000's will give you a basic wave form readout. So why is that less of a crutch than an advanced wave form?

stringer, I doubt you're going to be able to recreate that mix on CDJ's, if anything because of the lack of access of gear. There is a stigma, but you'll find promoters who will get past it. That promoter is a douchebag. The only way he's going to change his mind is if you change it for him. Record a video of your mix, show what you're doing. Ask him to give you the chance and if you don't deliver then he doesn't have to pay you. Bring business cards and network the shit out of it, get your friends to come and talk you up. That's how we break this stigma. By proving controllers and laptops are more important and powerful as CDJs and turntables. And, at that, the crowd won't care.

And if they do, then they aren't your scene anyway. They sure as fuck wouldn't be mine. And I've NEVER run into a crowd who cared what I was spinning on after I started spinning. They might have an attitude before, but the beats speak for themselves. It's a hard place to be, but that promoter is not the rule.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Default Re: CDJs vs. Vinyl?

Just download serato and play ur set on that, if they have 1200s and cdj's I'm pretty sure they are going to have a box hooked up. See if any friends have ssl and go over and practice.

Once you make a name for yourself in the scene you play. Promoters will be catering to you needs cuz you will be in demand.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Actually, re what JesC said, my own caveat is this:

If you do go the route of turntables or CDJ's then do timecode. No question. That way you can at least have the functionality you're looking for. And Traktor's timecode will work just fine. But once again, do it cause you want the functionality, or it stops being fun.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast