How do you guys feel about remixes?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How do you guys feel about remixes?

I personally love them, but a lot of my gigs are in front of a bunch of Top40 loving kids and if I drop any sort of a remix, they start screaming "What the hell! I hate remixes! Where's the original?!"

Anyone else experience this? Doesn't have to just be Top40, all other genres count too...

-Bence
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I feel that... Unless you play the Radio Edit people get pissy.

Theres no point in people saying "well educate them" chances are they know the remixes and want to hear the Radio version cus thats what everyone else knows and can sing a long to.

Theres always great remixes of Top 40 stuff but many take out the bits of a tune that made it a hit. You cant blame people for wanting to hear what they know.

Its a shame cus some great remixes just dont get played out enough.

Unless its some dogshit Dubstep version that people like just cus its cool to like it (La Roux springs to mind).

Did you have any in mind? Be interested to know mate cus i have this dilemma weekly ..!

Dilemma as in a gig and you need some Top40 remix stuff, right?

I'd love to help you of with that Lemme know what's up...

But one of my main example's is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDpMmgPtj5s

It's the Fred Falke remix of Tik Tok, I personally think its a bangin' remix, but I've dropped this before and gotten 50 piss drunk girls yelling "what's wrong with you! I hate remixes!"

I spin a lot of top 40 and I don't even bother with remixes anymore. People don't go to top 40 clubs to be educated on music, they want to hear the same crap they listened to in the car on the way there.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Lol no i mean dilemma as in whether to play the Radio edit or one of the 15 remixes that comes with every darn Beyonce/Gaga/Rihanna track.

I do a Top40 gig every monday. Its a good gig, students and locals VERY cheap booze so it can go off some nites. Keeps me out of trouble !!!

Yeah i like the Fred Falke mix of Tik Tok in fact you pick a great example. Fred Falke does some great synthy remixes of a lot of pop but if you play them people moan.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeintox View Post
    I spin a lot of top 40 and I don't even bother with remixes anymore. People don't go to top 40 clubs to be educated on music, they want to hear the same crap they listened to in the car on the way there.
    Totally agree. Which is annoying , but true.

Personally, I've heard the original radio edit of tracks so many times, that yes, I could still dance to them if I had to, but I want some sort of new spin on it, some freshy new dancy beat, that's part of why I like remixes so much, the other part is, that remixs make some great tracks, which were "un-danceable" with the original, "danceable".

My feeling is that, as long as the crowd has a decent response to a remix, your good to go, if not, stick with the original. For me (and I would hope other DJs too), It's all about reading my crowd and thinking to myself, "okay, these guys look really into it, should I try something a little crazy?" or "Naww, these guys aren't drunk enough, lets play it safe tonight..."

And it's a freakin shame, these dudes like Falke have some amazing mixes, but nobody wants to hear them! I love all of Falke's shit! What's up with people not wanting to hear it?!

Tech Mentor

I'll always play a remix over the original.

The way I see it people like to hear something they recognise, but also like a sense of something new on a night out.

Quote Originally Posted by famoussas32 View Post

The way I see it people like to hear something they recognise, but also like a sense of something new on a night out.
    Not 'always' but yeah, fairly often.

Same goes for my large collection of funk covers of well known tunes ... Cookin' On 3 Burners / Feel Good Inc. anyone?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by famoussas32 View Post

Depends on the club and the kind of clubbers.

I can tell you with 10 years of experience that if your DJing at a High Street/Student Union club people will get pretty pissy pretty quick if you play remixes all night.

Unless the club is known for more Dance orientated music it can be hard to play remixes.

The club i do on Mondays is pure cheesey pop for the rest of the week. I dont play outright cheese but the pop i play has to be the radio stuff cus the kind of people that go to the club are not "clubbers" they just your average Joe & Jenny Student.

No point trying to ram music people dont want to hear down their throats in some vain attempt at education.

I try remixes, of course i do but i have to keep the floor full all nite. Thats my job at that night. When a remix fails i play the radio edit the next time unless i am 100% certain that it will work. DJs are fallible , you can get it wrong.
    Takes a good DJ to decide 'right fuck that people arent having it' and play the edit rather than stubbornly upholding the better remix.

Thats the reality of those kinda clubs im afraid.

Some DJs wont compromise, i accept that. Personally im prepared to play "Bad Romance Radio Edit"...:eek:, cus id rather be able to buy that nice Penfield jacket i just saw (and bought) .. SELL OUT

I play(ed) a lot of remixes and generally the response was pretty good. People I know like to hear (even cheeseball) remix of top 40 tracks.

And if someone has a problem with it, just resort to bad jokes..
    "Hey this remix sucks..."
    "Nah man it's cool, I talked to D."
    "Who the *&%& is D?!?"
    "DEEZ NUTZ!!!!"

lol.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast