Playing in a club - levels etc on VCI & Audio 2 DJ?
    Tech Wizard

Default Playing in a club - levels etc on VCI & Audio 2 DJ?

I've got a gig in a club next week and its my first gig using my VCI-100SE and Audio 2 DJ. I'm just wondering how i should have the levels etc. I'm going to be running the line out of the Audio 2 DJ directly into a channel in the mixer. There is the master volume in Traktor Pro, and then there is the volume control on the Audio 2 DJ also. What is the best way to get the best audi quality without any distortion etc?

I'm guessing I should watch the equaliser bars within Traktor and keep them high without going into the red, and then use the volume on the Audio 2 DJ to do the same on the mixer equaliser?

Is this correct, any other tips?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Its pretty simple for me. RED is bad... Always.

Your right about Traktors master. Keep below 0.0db and Traktor shouldnt clip (unless you have 4 decks and FX running at the same time.
    Have you got Master Limiter turned on in Preferences? This will help stop clipping but only kicks in when Traktor starts to clip (or just before) so your Master LED may still hit red but the Limiter should prevent actual clipping.

Dont worry about the volume LEDS Traktors channels, they have no relation to how high the faders are. Just give your self mixing room on the faders. The last thing you should be doing is upping the master or the gains to compensate for quiet tracks. Use the auto gain to correct that.

This should send a good signal to the Audio 2.
    If your connecting the A2 to a channel on the mixer you should adjust the volume of the A2 and the mixer channel accordingly. If the mixer is clipping like mad then you need to pull down the fader or the A2 a little. Generally the A2 can be a full volume and the mixer 'should' be able to handle it.

Chances are that the laptop will be a bit quieter than the CDJs (if they are used) so you may need to have the mixer channel fader higher than the CDJ fader. This is just the reality of using a laptop.

Hope that helps to start with

K

Tech Mentor

thnx karlos.two thumbs mate!

autogain always on?.........not a loaded question.hope u can advise

Not sure what you mean regards Autogain always on mate?

Autogain and Master Limiter are in the Mixer Section in Prefernces.
    I have them both checked.

Autogain works on track load by reading the gain level of each individual track.

I have it on permanently . Doesnt mean you cant alter the gain on the fly but it helps get the tracks volume level the same.

Tech Wizard

Cheers that's really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

Chances are that the laptop will be a bit quieter than the CDJs (if they are used) so you may need to have the mixer channel fader higher than the CDJ fader. This is just the reality of using a laptop.
    Why is this exactly? If you are mixing in and out from CDJ's with a laptop etc - will there be a noticeable difference?

Tech Wizard

If you run an interface below it's maximum output, it's bit resolution will be slighty reduced. Also, the noise-to-floor-level gets worse.

The best solution is to run everything running out from your laptop at maximum without clipping and reducing the gain on the mixer.

Just make sure to prevent clipping all the way through the signal chain. generally when on my local clubs system i have the audio2 at nearly full volume.However, I actually take the master limiter off. I felt like it kicked in to soon and zapped some of the dynamics out of my tracks, Yes I have to constantly worry about levels but now my audio 2 sounds indistinguishable from the cdjs that play before and after me.

If im playing out, I usually always insist that they let me soundcheck my gear in advance.
    Last edited by sm00sh; 02-28-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Tech Mentor

@karlos thanx.

not quite comfortable with 4 decks using the vci at the mo but would it still be advisable to check the limiter box for this aswell?.how good is the limiter?.i would eq them accordingly but my question is sometimes to the ear a 4 deck mix would sound good pushed a bit but im guessing the limiter is set at a generic value and i could lose something from this being on?or do the +'s from it being on outweigh the negatives.?

Yeah the Limiter is totally user choice.

It can suck the life out of the music if you constantly push the volume hard.

I use it as the gigs i have all have powerful systems and if im drunk and i push it too much it helps !!!

I havent always used it but it is much more advanced in Pro so ive been using it recently.
    Id say if you dont need it and your careful not to clip then leave it off.
    Yeah the plus points are only that it helps keep things in check if you go all out with 4 decks with loads of EQ/FX.

Im not convinced about Toberts comment that you have to push the soundcard to the full.
    You need to drive the mixer so if your soundcard is at full tilt and the mixer fader is hardly up your not giving the mixer enough input.
    Better to lower the soundcard and up the mixer fader and get a good balance especially if the main system has a compressor on it, the mixer needs to drive the system.

It all depends on the system and the mixer in question.
    I use a DJM 800 at one gig and i need to push the soundcard up full to get a really decent signal out of it where as at my one of my other gigs i use an A&H 62 which is seems to manage with a lower soundcard output.

Main thing is to get Traktor right and the rest is trial and error.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Im not convinced about Toberts comment that you have to push the soundcard to the full.
    i don't understand what he is saying either, but am interested if he can elaborate more...

colly, i believe it is due to the dB difference in output between the soundcard and the cd-js which should use one of two standard output levels, i forgot the numbers, google would say.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk