Switching to vinyl? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i cant imagine what exaclt you cut on now after the NUO. isnt that bitch Traktor scratch ready?
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Phormula1.8T View Post
    i cant imagine what exaclt you cut on now after the NUO. isnt that bitch Traktor scratch ready?
    Sadly thats the reason why I got rid of my Nuo 5 - the thing didn't have any MIDI capabilities EXCEPT for a MIDI clock, which didn't help my digital needs much. AUGH!.

After that mixer, there isn't much that compares to it to be honest, and I'm a total equipment whore. Tried the TTM 56/57, every Xone, Pioneer DJM 909/800...they're all great mixers but they just don't compare in feel. The big ass ergonomic knobs, heavenly faders, great lay out, sound quality, ability to modify the effects processor from a PC - it was a surefire winner.

I'm in between mixers at the moment, still deciding where to go from here

Audio Innovate AEM100i is a damn good mixer dude. check it out.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

Tech Guru

Another kick ass homegrown brand of mixers which really deserves praise is Rodec. Phenomenal quality and build, worth every penny:

http://www.audiolines.com/What-s-New...dec-Scratchbox

Quote Originally Posted by Phormula1.8T View Post
    had a chance to hit up two str8-150s and elcer 310 mixer a while ago. the straight 150s are awesome AWESOME turntables. id recommend them to any style dj, scratch djs love them, but they do wonders for all styles. not only are they not that expensive but they control layout is awesome. nothings really out of place on them.

+1 on the stanton str8 150's

They are sick turntables, my mate owned a pair and i really liked them so a couple of months ago i went out and bought myself a couple second hand. Really well thought out layout, simple elegance - perform really well.

I have even started a little bit of a vinyl collection since - it pays to be diverse in what you can do given the situations you are put in. If you can perform with CDJ's controllers and vinyl your going to be in a better of position than a person who can just perform with controllers. Thats not to say at all that someone should start with vinyl then progress to other controllers - digital mixing can be a great way to quickly get into djing for a low cost and yet still be able to do ALOT of creative stuff, not something to be scoffed at what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post

I have even started a little bit of a vinyl collection since - it pays to be diverse in what you can do given the situations you are put in. If you can perform with CDJ's controllers and vinyl your going to be in a better of position than a person who can just perform with controllers. Thats not to say at all that someone should start with vinyl then progress to other controllers - digital mixing can be a great way to quickly get into djing for a low cost and yet still be able to do ALOT of creative stuff, not something to be scoffed at what so ever.
    hi bento, that sums up what i've been trying to say in the threads about beatmatching on cd-js....

+1
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Id also add that whilst its not the end of the world if you dont learn to DJ with vinyl if nothing else its a worth while thing to do that will give you great enjoyment.

Its not a case of either or. Its a case of adding to your repertoire .

Im a Guitarist. Didnt stop me from learning to play the drums and the keys.
    Im a fair guitar player, less of a drummer or a key player but i get by and have fun. Stick me in front of a drum kit and ill kick shit out of it and have a great time. Doesnt mean i have to audition for Sepultura .

Learning to DJ with different mediums is just like a musician learning a new instrument.

It can only make you a more rounded musician/dj, not anymore important, but you just have more ways of expressing your art.

In our cases the art is DJing. And who doesnt want to better themselves at that ?

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    Another kick ass homegrown brand of mixers which really deserves praise is Rodec. Phenomenal quality and build, worth every penny:

http://www.audiolines.com/What-s-New...dec-Scratchbox
    word, the rodec is dope.
    Durty Harry

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

+1 on the M44's - solid as fuck!

I recomend turning of the phase meter pretty quickly if you want to use Traktor Skratch, that just makes it like a slow form of djing using auto sync once you have the basic feel of vinyl down.

Learning different methods something I couldnt recommend more, you should always push your self

Yup. I learned to mix after burning out with guitars and drums (and having a heavy inclination to share music I love). Learned vinyl out of being bored with midi and CDs.

I imagine a lot of folks explore other disciplines similarly; out of curiosity, love of learning new things, and just the right amount of boredom. I really like seeing people do that.

By the way, MASSIVE plus one on Ecler's mixers. I bought a Nuo 3 last year for a good price not knowing what I was getting myself into. . . all I can say is that I have absolutely no desire to play any other mixer in my studio. The big, fat knobs are luxurious (heyo), and that nice, round analog-ish sound it gets sits very well with me. I haven't used the Eternal fader yet but I've heard people compare them in a favorable light with the Innofader. Allegedly the dog's bollocks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast